Page 1 of 17 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: "Man, Japan is over. We're done. Our game industry is finished."

Japan "Man, Japan is over. We're done. Our game industry is finished."

Quote Originally Posted by 1Up
    This is probably not the message you would want coming out at the end of the giant industry trade show that's supposed to be glorifying your native talents, but at the Tokyo Game Show earlier this week, Capcom's Keiji Inafune (creator of Mega Man and Dead Rising) shared his starkly damning assessment of the Japanese games industry: "it's finished."

The comments were made during an event showing off Dead Rising 2 (via Destructoid), where Inafune asked the attendees for their honest opinions of what they had seen at the show so far. Then, he shared his own: "Personally when I looked around [at] all the different games at the TGS floor, I said, 'Man, Japan is over. We're done. Our game industry is finished.'"

Ouch, huh? But to the surprise of no one, Inafune naturally left Capcom's games out of this evaluation, which he cited as an example of the "kick ass" games that are still coming out of Japan. As Destructoid rightly notes, there is a great deal of delicious irony in this remark, since Dead Rising 2's development is actually being handled by Canada-based Blue Castle Games.
    Link

He may be a company homer, but he's right. Set Capcom aside and then look at what a shambles Japan is in compared to 10 or especially 20 years ago.

2. Shambles? Try business as usual. There's always a few bright stars followed by tubes of shit, shovelware and crap. The faces change but the good is the minority. It always has been.

Maybe it's related to the mergers and acquisitions, but the bright stars don't seem to be coming from as many different places.

4. Yeah, I remember in the Saturn and PS1 days (And to an extent Genny and SNES days) I was all about importing, or waiting to see what was coming over seas each year. Now, aside from some blockbuster stuff (See: MGS, most of Capcom's work, the occasional Final Fantasy), I could care less what makes it to this side of the pond.

5. When somebody like me has been enjoying more Western-developed games than Japanese-developed games over the past couple of years, you know something is wrong.

The Japanese gaming scene is horribly stagnant, and still far too Japan-centric. Japanese developers need to stop thinking they know everything about gaming development, study what other companies are doing, target their products for a more global market, and get with the times.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Japanese love DS casual non-games. Nuff said.

7. I look at my 360 and PS3 collection now and the only japanese developed games that I have are the 360 Raiden games and Capcom stuff..lol. I think its more because of my gaming tastes which are skewed toward western style games ever since I started pc gaming. ..or its because Capcom is the only japanese dev which "gets it" in my eyes. Whatever really... The DS seems to be doing gangbusters as usual over there. Maybe japanese gamers just prefer handheld stuff nowadays.

8. Capcom is the only Japanese game company IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. Japan certainly doesn't hold the clout it did in the Boong-Ga Boong-Ga days.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

10. For me its all about whatever Atlus, Konami, ArkSys, Capcom and Nippon Itchi brings me from Japan, the usual NI, sting, and other small studio endeavors followed by the occasional mecha romp. Not to mention the about yearly gem of a shooter that is released. Capcom is hit or miss lately with SF4, RE5, MM9 and such lately depending on your tastes.

Personally I think the rise of the American gaming industry has forced smarter Japanese Devs to try different things. Sadly this is nowhere near a majority. But I'm not going to call it finished by a longshot. The majority has chosen to play it safe, stagnate themselves and run series into the ground for the sake of profits. See: Sonic, Final fantasy to some and a few dozen things that i forget. We've had this happen here too, see Popcap games, EA (until like 2 years ago), Activision (which has crashed and burned) and so on.
    Last edited by MarsKitten; 28 Sep 2009 at 01:42 PM.