Thread: Tracking a Forwarded E-mails IP...

1. Tracking a Forwarded E-mails IP...

Last week, someone attempted to blackmail my GF, via a hotmail account by sending an e-mail to her work.

I suspect that this person is her soon to be ex, who she's in a long, drawn out divorce with which and who, by all indications, is not anything near a decent person.

I, of course, cannot prove this.

If a digital copy is forwarded to her Lawyer (Sender -> Work -> Lawyer), is it possible to track the IP where it came from originally and prove where exactly it was sent from?

Thanks.

2. You could right click the email and check Properties/Details (well, In Outlook that's what it is), but I'm not sure how Hotmail handles sending letters if you send them from the actual site so they may be lumped into one/several addresses that have nothing to do with the sender's location

3. check the headers, usually any decent email application/server will throw the senders IP in there for spam tracking

edit: what you're explaining probably wouldn't work unless you had a copy of the original email's header information quoted into the copy you send to the lawyer/cops/batman/whoever

4. So, I have to get the original header?

BTW, this is from a cop and possibly was sent from the PD. It's possible to get them to look at their records to see, but I want to do this without making an irrational person even more irrational.

5. ya, you'll have to take a look at the original email from the wing nut to your friend the recipient

I don't know if hotmail throws in the users' IP address into sent mail headers, though

edit: if I were you, I'd print a hard copy of the original email too, headers and all, because it may be needed as evidence in a trial and/or the CO chewing out officer fuckhead if it goes that far
    Last edited by cka; 10 Oct 2009 at 08:24 PM.

6. Tracking a Forwarded E mails IP

If I have forwarded another domain I own to my website, is there any way to keep track of how many people accessed my site through typing the forwarded domain directly into their browser?It doesnt seem like Google Analytics or my other Analytics software provides this information, so Im just wondering if it is even possible to track this.Thanks

7. depends on how the forwarder is set up

if it's just url rewritten, probably not, but if it redirects the alternate url should show up in your main site's http log files as a referer