Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webpage help

1. Webpage help

For Christmas, my uncle gave my grandfather a laptop, but he has no idea how to use it. I've been asked to make a web page which acts as a portal to all the pages he would like.

I can pretty easily throw something together, but I was wondering if it was possible to make a web page that automatically lists the links to all the sites he bookmarks? That way if he finds a page he likes he can just bookmark it and have it in front of him whenever he logs on.

Isn't this the google homepage?

Or you know, the bookmark sidebar....
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. I want it to be as user friendly as possible. He won't know how to use a side bar and if he accidentally closes it he won't know how to open it. He has literally never used a PC before this.

I mean if he can learn to bookmark a webpage he should be able to learn where to find the bookmarks sidebar.

It's two clicks, one click to close it, and the same two clicks to open it. Just show him.

Shit there is even a ctrl-command to open it, you can just write: bookmarks sidebar hold ctrl and press b. close sidebar: hold ctrl and press b.

My grandfather is like eighty and he can pick it up if you leave detailed instructions and walk him through everything a few times. It just takes patience on your end a willingness to learn on the other.

Once he finds a few pages he likes the most you should drag them to the top bar and show him how you can just click on them.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 07 Oct 2009 at 12:18 PM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Isn't this the google homepage?
    Or Safari, which afaik the PC version also has the graphical favorites start page that the Mac version does.

There is also a history button (which looks like a book) that takes you to a graphical bookmarks page.

8. Just have him use Google Chrome and make the "new tab page" his homepage. It'll have big pictures of his most visited pages and recent bookmarks.

9. Does he know how to turn on the computer? Does he know how to open the browser? Get him a microphone/software for invalids and set up some kinda of voice command shortcuts:
    "Computer! Titty pics!"
    "Computer! Fixodent and forget it!"
    "Computer! I'm a burden on my family!"

10. When my nephew was 4 he knew how to use a PC like nobody's business. I refuse to believe that your grandfather lacks the mental abilities of a 4 year old. If he wants a laptop then teach him how to properly use the thing instead of coddling him.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww