Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: I Bought My First Mac

check and repair disk permissions every week or two.

2. You don't need tips. Macs just work.
    o_O

Unless you do something stupid/are stupid this is mostly always the case.

4. In my experience, if anything goes wrong, you can usually fix it by doing one of the following
    1. repairing permissions
    2. running cron scripts (just type 'sudo periodic daily weekly monthly' at the command prompt)
    3. resetting pram or nvram
    4. repairing file system
    5. creating a new user

The thing I miss most about using OSX is the shortcut that inverts the screen image. It's great for reading sites that use dark text on a white background.
    Last edited by kedawa; 16 Oct 2009 at 01:09 AM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Your mom and I played just the tip last night.
    I hope she didn't bleed all over your penis again.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    In my experience, if anything goes wrong, you can usually fix it by doing one of the following
    1. repairing permissions
    2. running cron scripts (just type 'sudo periodic daily weekly monthly' at the command prompt)
    3. resetting pram or nvram
    4. repairing file system
    5. creating a new user

The thing I miss most about using OSX is the shortcut that inverts the screen image. It's great for reading sites that use dark text on a white background.
    Good tip, thank you Sir man sir.

cron means poo to me now. I will learn my friend.

7. cron is unix's scheduled tasks, more or less

8. I will have to learn more about the heart of Apple. I have no clue, google will be my friend now.

Thanks boys.

9. Real quick noobie thing I noticed... Default from factory my mini maccy doesn't pop up with the icons on the bottom taskbar thingy.... You know... when you hover over a icon the icon expands ..... wtf. it's a setting... where?

10. Find the Settings panel, then it's under Dock (click the Apple icon in the top left of the screen, pick Settings).