Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So how did you get otaku-ized?

1. So how did you get otaku-ized?

A thread on Neomega reminded me of how I first got into anime, and I thought it'd be fun to ask everybody how it happened for them. I'll share first.

Many years ago, before the letters "DBZ" meant anything to the average American, my local Fox affiliate carried the early episodes of original DragonBall, and I loved it. Shortly thereafter I got into DBZ when it showed up, and Sailor Moon. Then, a several months later, I went to a Sci-Fi convention which hosted a 24-hour anime room, which gave my first taste of 'real' anime (i.e. not censored for kiddie TV). The shows on display were El Hazard, Yu Yu Hakusho, Slayers, Night Warriors, Street Fighter II V, and Shamanic Princess. Naturally I was hooked.

Fortunately, a gaming store opened a few months later, the now lamented Jester's Games. Along with collectible card, roleplaying, and miniature battle games, they also sold anime, and the owner put even put his personal collection up for rental. This was how I got exposed to my 2 favorite series to this day, Tenchi and Ranma. For several months the store played host to an anime club, offering free screenings every wednesday night, which I and several otaku-noob friends attended regularly.

Well, that's my story, what's yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. I'm not an 'otaku', since I think referring to oneself as an 'otaku' is retarded.

Anyway, I used to watch the dubbed movies shown on Saturday Anime on Sci-Fi Network a few years ago. That's how I got into anime. I'm not even sure if it's on anymore.
    if ya see a sucker, cut him, don’t like perpetrators
    http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/doktorMott.png

3. Originally posted by ruhztee
    I'm not an 'otaku', since I think referring to oneself as an 'otaku' is retarded.
    Well, 'if the shoe fits...'

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

4. I too got started through the Fox channel Dragon Ball episodes... Before school sometimes Sailor Moon would come on...I still didn't quite know it was Anime. Then I would watch Saturday Anime, and the Anime Week, I saw Tenchi Muyo in Love and decided it was time to get into it. A friend of mine in Georgia sent me ALL of Fushigi Yuugi on 5 vhs tapes, fansubbed, with some Ranma OAV's on them as well...at that point I spose I decided to get even more into it... I can honestly say those fansubs where the kick in my butt I needed to go look into more obscure (At the time) anime. In 2000 I went to Otakon for the first time, and I've been going ever since. Good Times.

5. Lets see...I watched the Transformers movie as a kid alot. Later on when I started buying EGM they would have little bits about anime like pics from the Final Fantasy anime to reviewing the DBZ Snes games (which looked awesome with super long fireballs and a split screen). Years later I would watch the first season of Dragon Ball Z on a local tv station, and watch anime movies like Robot Carnival, Akira, and Tenchi Muyo in Love on the Sci Fi channel. Also around this time I had started buying Gamefan, and the anime section always appealed to me even if I didn't know what the hell it was. There was this one anime that always got my attention: Evangelion. I got more into anime through Gamefan and the Scifi channel and renting anime from Blockbuster. Then I bought a dvd player, and by then Gamers Republic and Shidoshi were really hitting their strides and I was totally drawn into anime (also started buying Animerica round this time). Then I found Animondvd.com and some more websites. After spending way too much money on various anime series and movies, my interest in it has gone down. Even after the WOW factor had gone down from comparing anime to other medias, and not wanting to spend so much on dvds, I still love anime for what it is.
    pwned by Ivan

6. I watched every episode of my cousin's husband's Robotech collection, then I researched it online discovering Macross, Macross Plus, Macross the movie, Macross 7 and all the games. I loved the music and totally became devoted to Macross and have been for 7 years. My first movies were Akira and Fist of the north Star then I started renting Anime movies all the time. I eventually started ordering fansubs of movies and shows, buying tapes and sometimes downloading. Then DVDs. I'm mainly a Macross collector, but I am diverse in my likings. I range from Mecha (Macross) to fictional drama (Fushigi Yugi) to psychological terror (Perfect Blue) to comical love stories (Love Hina) and lots more.

7. I can remember seeing anime like Robotech and the first Golgo 13 movie back in the 80s, but I was too young to know what the hell it was I was seeing. I just knew it looked different from GI Joe and *heh* Go Bots. A friend of mine that I met my first year in high school really got me into anime. This was around 1994, and he was about 21 or so. His mom had left him the house, and he rented 3 rooms out, so he didn't have to work and always had money. He showed me akira, and I was hooked. Back then, we mostly had to rely on Blockbuster Video to see anime, or go to Silver City Galleria in Massachusetts to buy it, since at that time we didn't know of any stores in Providence that had it. He hasn't been able to buy it as much since he has kids, but I've kept the tradition going. For awhile, I used to go to a store near my house that let you rent fan subbed anime, and the lady there also mod chipped systems. It was pretty cool cuz alot of the time she would have to rerecord old tapes, and would do it in the store, so you could sit and watch the whole things. i stopped going there when i found out she was selling copied games, which she got busted for.

8. Originally posted by ruhztee
    I'm not an 'otaku', since I think referring to oneself as an 'otaku' is retarded.

Anyway, I used to watch the dubbed movies shown on Saturday Anime on Sci-Fi Network a few years ago. That's how I got into anime. I'm not even sure if it's on anymore.
    I was exactly the same, especially Dominion: Tank Police.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

9. lemme see...

Voltron or Robotech. I don't which was first, but I watched both when I was little, and boy did I watch a lot of both. After that, nothing much I can remember until Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) - oy, and the anticipation and ease of waking up at 5am to see it during it's horrid time slot. Then DragonBall back when Saban took care of all of it. Then Ah My Goddess, You're Under Arrest, SF2: The Movie, Gunsmith Cats, Akira, DBZ, Kiki's Delivery Service, Cowboy Bebop...the rest is blurry and I'm sure I missed a bunch of what I've read or watched, but there you go. Right now I'm starting in on Gunsmith Cats on TPB collections again, and watching Angelic Layer and the Ah My Goddess OAV. Oh, and GTO along with Hunter X Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

10. Another thing that really got me into anime was Teknoman on UPN way back when (Tekkaman Blade).