Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Me About Your Town!

Tell Me About Your Town!

So, my lease on my apartment ends in January, and as much as I love living here in the Paris of the Piedmont, I think it may be time for me to move on. I've been thinking about this for over a year, pretty much feel like I'm just wasting time here, and I'm sick of jumping through hoops to get back into school at UNC when I'm not sure I even care enough to go back and any other university in the country would gladly accept me. So perhaps it's time to move, but where? That is the question! Tell me why I should move to where you are.

All I absolutely require is that the place be very bicycle friendly (I'd prefer to continue to work as a bike courier, and must bike regardless), have a decent used book store, and a banging music scene.

Other considerations are proximity to the coast, transit, cost of living, and access to a public university.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

uh tuition is cheap. Nothing to do if you don't want to drive an hour. And we are known for putting Johnny Cash in jail for picking flowers.

Baltimore.

4. Well, I was already pimping Portland, OR in some other thread. Seems to meet those criteria quite well. Bikers and used book stores are all over, including some big ones like Powell's Books (I just googled for a decent picture.) I'm not really familiar with all the music joints around here because I'm a shut-in, but my musician friends all seem to say that the scene is hoppin'... I hear it from out-of-towners quite a bit as well. I just wouldn't know which direction to point you in.

5. Seattle is the #1 city in the world. Home of Ancient Warlocks, High Class Wreckage and some serious dank, you can't go wrong in Seatown!!!

Gainesville, FL. Very bike friendly, about an hour from the Gulf of Mexico, and an hour and a half from the Atlantic. It has a huge school (University of Florida) that emphasizes the sciences. It has an okay music scene, and has a few decent, but not huge used book stores. Public transit is good; it is largely subsidized by the school, so it serves students well. There's no fare with a UF ID, and buses from downtown run until about 30 minutes past last call, which is 2 am here.

Tallahassee, FL. I don't live there, but it may be better for you than Gainesville. FSU doesn't seem to have the inflated ego that UF has, so they may make it easier for enrolling. It has a pretty neat downtown from what I have seen, and since it is the state capital, it likely has more opportunities for courier jobs. I don't think that it is as bike friendly as Gainesville, though. The music scene seems to be a lot better in Tallahassee, and you get in "free" to a lot of the good shows as an FSU student.

7. Tempe, AZ

ASU is a huuuge campus (actually I believe they have a 95% acceptance rate which explains that). I like the fact they have a huge bar/club scene right down the road as well as the Tempe Improv which gets some really good acts.

If you're into sports then this is a great area. If you're single then this really is a great area, the ass factor in Tempe is unreal.

The downside? It's fucking hot most of the year so biking might not be that great unless you enjoy sweating balls before you get to class and/or work. Also you live in the desert.
    Last edited by Hot Like Wasabi; 17 Nov 2009 at 08:05 PM.
    "Remember, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck."
    Geek in the Desert

Quote Originally Posted by PaCrappa View Post
    Seattle is the #1 city in the world. Home of Ancient Warlocks, High Class Wreckage and some serious dank, you can't go wrong in Seatown!!!
    Home of me in another two years or so, so there is that too.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    Other considerations are proximity to the coast, transit, cost of living, and access to a public university.
    These are the reasons why I live where I do. I'm in New Brunswick, NJ, home of Rutgers University (where I attended), and it's a great compromise to live near NYC but not in it, while still having access to the amenities of a city.

It's Jersey, so the shore isn't far no matter where you are, it's a 50 minute train ride to NYC, and the trains run every half hour from 4:30AM until 2AM. Basically my travel time to downtown NYC is comparable to some people that live out in Brooklyn and Queens, and I live a lot cheaper.

New Brunswick itself is an alright town, too. It's a smallish city, but it has a ton of restaurants ranging from fine dining to cheap junk food, and it's a college town so there's usually shit to do. The music scene in town is pretty underground, but you're right by New York which is one of the best places in the world for any kind of live entertainment. Oh and we have a great comedy club here too.

Of course it's not really cheap except if you're comparing it to NYC, BUT it is easy to find people to split an apartment or house with so if you like having roommates, it's not so bad ($500ish for a room, a bit less if you're lucky). Personally I enjoy having people around.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 17 Nov 2009 at 08:16 PM.

10. Sounds like Brooklyn is your perfect place. Brooklyn Academy of Music, you can ride a bike everywhere and if you are smart, you can find a reasonably priced place to live (a la Ramon).