Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Louie

1. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Because it has a live audience, it's more like stage acting. You play to the audience, you wait for their laughs to die down. It's different, and it's like that on purpose.
    All sitcoms from back in the day had live audiences and still had believable acting. You're giving them a pass for going retro without any kind of quality check.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I loved Lucky Louie.
    Frog is right on this one.
    To each their own thing.

Except my thing is being right.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 10 Dec 2009 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

2. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    All sitcoms from back in the day had live audiences and still had believable acting.
    They totally didn't though. If you watch 70s sitcoms now, it's like watching old 1940s movies. It's just a completely different style of acting. It's very stagey. I didn't notice it so much as a kid, but I totally do now.

3. Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DannyTannerBobSaget.png 
Views:	565 
Size:	439.6 KB 
ID:	50464  
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

I can't believe in three years of tnl gifts nobody's bought me lucky louie.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

5. So now that this has been out for half a season, maybe we can stop talking about Lucky Louie and admit this show is fucking great. The last episode (Ep 7: Double Date/Mom) was fucking hysterical. FX seems happy and just renewed it for a second season, too.

It's a way, way different show than Lucky Louie. Which, even though I liked Lucky Louie, is a good thing. There's no need to keep trying the same thing.

Louie is the sole writer, director, editor and only principal cast member in this one, and it's a really different way to do this kind of show. FX basically just signs the checks and lets him do whatever he wants, and the result is a show that's really pretty different from anything else on TV right now. Sort of a stew of autobiographical fiction and stand-up comedy without any central story.

For the lazy, it's also on Hulu, with each new episode going up 8 days after it airs.

6. I loved Lucky Louie when it aired, and watched it again in anticipation of this show. It didn't seem as awesome as it did originally, but was still funny and entertaining.
    I will have to catch up on Louie as I've only caught the episodes up to the PTA meeting.
    Unfuckingbelievable how great and poignant this series is. Its just so uncomfortable and true. I think that's the highest amount of praise I can give it.

7. To cow: I might have last year, but you cried you wanted gift cards to build a pc. At least I think that was you.

8. I've been enjoying the hell out of Louie, although it had a rocky first episode. I'm actually three episodes behind right now only due to lack of time, but plan on fixing this soon. I'm definitely getting more out of this one than I did from Lucky Louie, which just didn't click with me.

James

9. Yeah, this show is really good.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. It's a real slow burn though. I'm fine with that, but I don't see it being around very long. A second season commitment is a big surprise.