Page 1 of 19 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Louie

1. Louie

This show sounds interesting. It's somewhere between stand up and sitcom, and is basically vignettes interwoven with/introduced by stand up comedy. FX is pretty liberal about content restrictions for a non-premium channel, so it might be a good place for him.

2. FX is the best network next to HBO. He said on OA that they haven't even asked to see scripts.

Hopefully this one is bad ass AND lasts.

3. Lucky Louie wasn't that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. Not everyone likes the old-school sitcom thing Lucky Louie was going for. A lot of people didn't really get what it was trying to do.

Louis CK's sketches are pretty fantastic, though, so this might be a better format for him.

5. I love C.K. Louie was pretty funny. But it was trying to hard to be R-rated Roseanne. And I don't think any of the characters were endearing enough to latch on to in any meaningful way. Which is a big issue with a sitcom, because that's what keeps people tuning back in.
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I love C.K. Louie was pretty funny. But it was trying to hard to be R-rated Roseanne.
    It was actually trying to be more of a Normal Lear kind of thing, with the live audience (this is a bigger thing than just the presence of laughs, by the way. It turns it into a real performance) and old school artificial sets and such. It was trying to be very 70s.
    And I don't think any of the characters were endearing enough to latch on to in any meaningful way. Which is a big issue with a sitcom, because that's what keeps people tuning back in.
    What a dumb Canadian thing to say. How do you explain Curb Your Enthusiasm's success? Or The Office? The characters are funny, you don't have to like them as people.

7. They really need to stop giving him shows.

He's funny, but he's bad at TV.
    Boo, Hiss.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    What a dumb Canadian thing to say. How do you explain Curb Your Enthusiasm's success? Or The Office? The characters are funny, you don't have to like them as people.
    Being perpetually wrong seems to be a great skill of yours. Put it on the resume.

Larry David is completely endearing as a character and the situations he gets himself in to. The Office? Michael Scott may not be endearing most of the time, but he has great moments. Sincerely buying Pam's painting at her art show, sincerely loving children. But discounting all of that The Office also has Pam and Jim. Both extremely endearing characters. The problem is Lucky Louie had nobody you could really relate with or feel for and the acting wasn't very good, either. It may have had some funny jokes but you'd be hard pressed to remember any of them. I realize you have a man-crush on Louis C.K. but pull your head out of your ass for a second and realize C.K. can do better, and hopefully now has.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 10 Dec 2009 at 02:34 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    They really need to stop giving him shows.

He's funny, but he's bad at TV.
    You know he made his bones as a TV writer for SNL, Conan O'Brien, Letterman and the Chris Rock Show for many years before he became nationally famous as a comic, right? He was also one of the head writers on The Dana Carvey show which bombed but was awesome. We can argue about his sitcom, but the guy knows TV, especially sketch comedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Larry David is completely endearing as a character and the situations he gets himself in to.
    He's a complete asshole with few redeeming qualities. That's why he's so funny. I just don't get where people need likability in their characters. I hear this a lot about shows and movies that I like and it just seems like such a vaginal thing to say.
    and the acting wasn't very good, either.
    See, this is where I think you missed the point. The acting moved away from that movie-style acting that they do in sitcoms now. Because it has a live audience, it's more like stage acting. You play to the audience, you wait for their laughs to die down. It's different, and it's like that on purpose.

I get it, it's a show that goes against the grain of what's popular right now, but I still think it's bullshit that complaints like that basically got the show canceled despite increasingly strong ratings. It's such bullshit.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 10 Dec 2009 at 02:46 PM.

10. I loved Lucky Louie.
    Frog is right on this one.