Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Shenmue III (PS4, PC)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Yeah I think I said that a bit wrong

My point is back then, it was kind of a novel thing and you remember your enjoyment from then, but if someone gave you a new game that was that way, you would kinda go 'eh'
    I'm sure if I played Shenmue for the first time now it wouldn't have nearly the same impact it once did. That doesn't really change my point that the game is more than the sum of its parts though.

2. Yea I think Frog nailed the game pretty accurately.

I see younger folks on forums talking about how they want a HD remaster so they can play these and I'm like, "they will hate this." The game did a lot of things but it's so unique and of its time that it's a "you had to be there" type of game. Especially since so much game design since Shenmue has been in the open world.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Yea I think Frog nailed the game pretty accurately.

I see younger folks on forums talking about how they want a HD remaster so they can play these and I'm like, "they will hate this." The game did a lot of things but it's so unique and of its time that it's a "you had to be there" type of game. Especially since so much game design since Shenmue has been in the open world.
    Frog absolutely nailed it.

Speaking to your "had to be there" point, I think there are some in the younger crowd, those predisposed to games like Yakuza, who could play Shenmue and genuinely enjoy it--not as a piece of history, but enjoy it as we did in 2000. Granted, they're most certainly a minority, but they're out there.

Also, Yu's doing an AMA tomorrow. Should be a good read.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

4. Also also, another milestone just passed. Rapport system confirmed.

This kinda feels like bullshit though. You mean to tell me if the fans can't pony up another $300k, we're not getting a skill tree? Sony's that hard up? Bollocks, I say.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. I don't get those stretch goals. But I don't care much either.

It's weird to see the Kickstarter backers start to turn openly hostile at the stretch goals.

6. Gift horse, mouth... I get it. It's Shenmue 3. There is no bad news here.

But if memory serves, don't the actual non-QTE battles average somewhere in the single digits in Shenmue games? Do we really need a skill tree? No, we do not need a skill tree. Just give us more places to explore and breathe in all the environmental goodness. It's why we're here.

7. Have you seen any men wearing black suits? Never mind. I should go home. Ine-San will be worried about me.

8. Anyone want to play a game of Lucky Hit?

Shenmue, and hell, the DC as a whole, were something that you had to be around at the time to fully appreciate. Now, the graphics are a bit laughable (outside of their sheer clarity), but in '99, they were a massive upgrade from the PS1 and N64. In terms of atmosphere, there are things that Shenmue does to absorb you in the game's world that haven't been fully replicated outside of the series since.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    In terms of atmosphere, there are things that Shenmue does to absorb you in the game's world that haven't been fully replicated outside of the series since.
    I really loved playing Shenmue at the time, but to say that there haven't been games since that absorb you in the game's world isn't right. I enjoyed exploring the world of Skyrim, just as much as working my way through the quests. I can in jump in a car within the world of GTA V, and just drive around observing the scenery and interactions of people on the streets. The open world genre has grown quite a bit since the days of Shenmue, and if Shenmue III doesn't come close to the experiences of those games, and the likes of Fallout 3, there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans.

10. AMA last night on Reddit. Cleared up couple things about the new game. It seems like it will be decent sized with a few towns. He said at $5 million he'll be able to get the game closer to his original intent and at $10 he will do true open world. Alas, I think the final finding will be somewhere between those two figures.

It also seems like there's still going to be room for a Shenmue IV, so this won't be the end of the story. Bleh.