Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharing a HDD between linux and windows

1. Sharing a HDD between linux and windows

I am currently working on setting up an HTPC using a minimal Ubuntu install. My ultimate goal is to hook up an external HDD through eSATA so that the machine serves as sort of an always on NAS.

I've managed to get the NTFS drive mounted on the linux machine, no problems. I've tried setting up sharing via SAMBA. I've edited smb.conf to share the drive with guests ok and read only turned off, but I've only gotten it so that my XP machine can just see the drive. I cannot save anything to it (the drive is blank so not sure if I could even access files on it).

I'm certain this is some sort of issue with user/access controls but for the life of me I cannot figure out what to change to actually get this to work. If anybody could help me so that I can figure out where I am going wrong I'd appreciate it. If there is any special issues that make getting this to work on windows 7 that you are aware of I would appreciate help with that as well.

3. I came in here expecting to see a certain JPEG and I was not disappointed.

5/5

4. If its just going to be a nas, why do you need windows and linux on it? NTFS write support in linux is still experimental and some distros require compiling a kernel with the option enabled. If you're going to use this as a nas, I'd recommend using XFS or ReiserFS. XFS if you'll never need to shrink the partition for any reason, ReiserFS if you might.
    To understand man, walk it shoe on other foots.

5. To be clear, I need this drive to accessable both by the linux machine it is connected to and over the network from PCs running Windows. I'm pretty certain that I could not do this if the drive was formatted to XFS or ReiserFS. I was also under the impression that Ubuntu could handle NTFS without any real issues now.

6. NTFS, XFS, and ReiserFS are local filesystems. SMB is essentially a network file system. The HDD doesn't need to be NTFS in order to share files via SMB. When a share request is made by a windows pc, the linux pc uses samba to translate between the files that it reads on the HDD to a protocol that windows can understand. It doesn't matter what filesystem you use locally as long as linux can read and write to it. I stream video files from my linux computer with ReiserFS to my wife's windows computer without problems.

7. Well, this I did not know. So there totally would not be an issue moving things between drives if I formatted the drive to XFS?

If so, I still have the issue of actually getting my windows machine to be able to access this drive. Do I need to set up additional users on my linux machine? Or is there something else that I am missing?

8. Ubuntu should come with smb installed. Assuming you're using the gnome distribution, Right click on the folder you want to share and then click "sharing options", then select all available options. Thats usually the easiest way.
    You might look into using this system GUI-less though. It can be better to have a headless system without all the X11 overhead.

9. I am using this GUI-less, which I think is why I am having trouble with this. All the tutorials I am finding show how to set it up through gnome and I'm trying to avoid that. Ideally, once this is set up, I won't have to actually do much work to the actual computer.

10. man smbmount

edit: on the linux installation