Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Live Messenger

1. Windows Live Messenger

Ever since my DSL connection crapped out on the weekend, I haven't been able to launch WLM.
    It just crashes as soon as I launch the program.
    I've repaired the installation, uninstalled and reinstalled all Windows Live components, and spent hours reading forums and tinkering with settings, and nothing has helped.
    I have no idea if this has something to do with my DSL connection fucking up the other day, or if it's just a coincidence, but the modem works fine now.
    The weird thing is that when the modem was going wacky, only messenger could connect to the internet, but now it's the only thing that doesn't work.

Any advice?

2. buy a mac.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Have you tried connecting to messenger using Pidgin or Digsby? I would imagine if it was something on your ISP's side that they would give you problems no matter the client trying to access it. I would then guess that if Pidgin/Digsby works than it's something with the Windows Messenger program and would run uninstall, followed by manually deleting any files/folders that the uninstall leaves behind.

4. I can connect through web messenger. I know it's not a simple connection issue, because the program crashes as soon as I start it, with no specific error, just the generic '<program name> has stopped working' message. Also, I get the same result when connected to a different network, or no network at all.

I have uninstalled it, but I'm not sure what other stuff to delete. I guess I'll have to start poking around in the registry. Ugh.

5. What OS are you running? I remember having issues with the release candidate of 64-bit Windows 7, Windows Live Messenger and the 32-bit version of the MS Visual Studio C/C++ runtime redistributable. Something got corrupted and I could never actually get it to work. Luckily it was just as I was building my system and I did not care about re-installing the OS. If your are running the 64-bit Win7 RC, you might want to try hunting down the components of what ever this installs, and then re-installing WLM.

6. I'm running Vista SP2 32bit, but I'll have a look at that anyway.

7. I tried installing and uninstalling that, but it didn't help. I also uninstalled WLM using Windows Install Clean Up. The result is always the same. It just doesn't work.

8. Does the Windows Event Log (control panel->administrative tools->event viewer) have any entries or the Program Files->Windows Live->Messenger directory have any logs that might help pin point what's going on?

9. Another thing you might want to try. Create a different user on the machine. Log on as the new user and try to use messenger on that account.

10. I just checked the event viewer, and it's listed as an application error.
    Faulting application msnmsgr.exe, version 14.0.8089.726, time stamp 0x4a6ce533, faulting module WLDCore.dll, version 14.0.8089.726, time stamp 0x4a6ce514, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00002ee5, process id 0x8e4, application start time 0x01ca7ae9df5b5499.
    I guess that means the .dll is bad?