Thread: CD Labels

1. CD Labels

Forgive my ignorance. I'm putting together a CD as a gift, and want to make an at least semi-cool label for it. I'm sure I can pick up full coverage circular CD labels somewhere (although I haven't looked). So, if I wanted to print an image -- say something off the web -- to fit that kind of label, do I need some kind of label making software? Is there free software for that kind of thing? Thanks.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

Different companies put the labels in different spots on the page, so first you need to pick what kind of labels to use. After that, you can usually go to the manufacturers website and find templates for any given dtp program, or they may have some free design software to download. Many cd/dvd programs have basic label creation built in as well.

3. That all sounds about right. Thanks. Much appreciated.

Edit: any advice on where to pick up labels? Or is that as simple as Best Buy, Staples, Fry's, Target, or whatever?
    Last edited by Prince Planet; 17 Dec 2009 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Planet View Post
    Best Buy, Staples, Fry's, Target, or whatever?
    This.

ANOTHER IDEA is call a CD duplication house or print shop in your area and see how much a single disc print would cost. If they have an ink jet disc printer they can do some nice looking stuff directly to the disc.

6. Sweet. Thanks, Josh. TNL -- never fails.

Edit: I wound up buying a kit for $8, which included a label press. I have to say, it worked beautifully. This is probably old hat for most of the board, but I was amazed at the the combination of depth and ease-of-use of the software out there. I mixed all of the music tracks myself on Nero and designed some really good looking labels. Yes, I impressed myself.
    Last edited by Prince Planet; 21 Dec 2009 at 01:17 PM.