Thread: DVR

1. DVR

So I'm in the market for a DVR and was wondering what would be my best option.

I have about US$500 I'm willing to spend. I'm considering;

A PS3 + PlayTV. I don't have a PS3 or a BD Player yet, so this is pretty attractive. The PlayTV accessory seems fairly robust.

TIVO - The new Tivo units look pretty nice. Tivo is considered unmetered content with my ISP, which is a plus for all the on-demand stuff.

There again, I could just get a stand alone DVR and a stand alone BD player, and continue to use my 360 for gaming and on demand movies etc.

Any thoughts?
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

2. Your cable provider offers DVRs with your service for an additional $10 a month. I have two HD-DVRs that came with our Verizon Fios HD package.

3. He lives in Australia. The rules are different.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

4. For $500 American you could probably build yourself a HTPC with a BluRay drive, and use something like MythTV or even Windows Media Center to do the PVR/DVR thing without subscription charges.

5. I like the TiVo HD. Records everything with no problem, the guide is fast, and there aren't any annoying bugs like in those shit Motorola/Scientific American boxes the cable companies push. On top of that, I can have it download video podcasts like the Revision3 ones, and they show up like just another recorded TV show.

In the US, you can rent movies from both Amazon and Blockbuster on it, as well as watch Netflix streaming.