Thread: Speech to Text Software

Speech to Text Software

Do any of you use this stuff? We are trying to throw some up on my grandfathers computer, so we can kind of get his story down whenever any of us talk to him on the phone. Dude's had a pretty interesting life.

Anyway... I've been recommended the Dragon program, but wanted to see if any of you had any experience with something else. I've not tried using one of these since the mid 90's... back when it was HILARIOUS.

2. If there's a Windows PC involved, you might be able to take advantage of the built-in speech recognition and save some money. I know Windows 7 has it, and I think it's on Vista too.

I used Dragon NaturallySpeaking for a short time and it was all right. It's kind of like using Swype in a rush: you're going to have some errors more likely than not.

The problem is that you get the most out of speech recognition software the more time you put into training it. It's possibly a little more user-friendly now, but a few years ago, it was strongly recommended that you read a few long pieces into the microphone so the software could learn your speech nuances. I don't know how willing your Gramps would be to do that.

Even after that, there is a learning period that might be a little too annoying.

But if you record the conversations and have the software transcribe them after the fact, the speech is distinct, and a patient person reviews the end product, it should work fine. But without a patient reviewer, you will likely get too much gibberish.