Thread: The Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island

1. The Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island

I didn't see a single mention of this game anywhere on the board, and it's about 6 weeks from release so I figure it's time.

Basically, the story goes, Bill Tiller (Curse of Monkey Island art director) wanted to do a new Monkey Island game, but LucasArts were being a bunch of cocks and trying to bury their adventure licenses, so Tiller decided to come up with an original IP that would basically be Monkey Island with a character switching hook a la Maniac Mansion or Day of the Tentacle.

A few years go by and finally his game goes into production. A month after it's announced, LucasArts announces Tales of Monkey Island and SoMI Remake and steals a lot of Tiller's thunder.

All the same, this looks very good, and I hear Larry Ahearn (CoMI director/writer) is working at Autumn Moon now as well, so that bodes well.

http://www.ghostpiratesofvoojuisland.com/
    Click for full size

Click for full size

2. Fantastic art direction at least. Rather play this than Tales of Monkey for the looks alone. Yes, I am shallow.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

3. I can't believe I didn't make this thread. It's true, the art is so so so nice but everything else is a wildcard as far as I can tell. Here's hoping for a good localization (see: Ceville).

edit: OH just in case you haven't seen it, this is a semi-recent (post Curse, anyway) drawing of the MI1 SCUMM Bar by Bill Tiller:

Click for full size

Tales turned out pretty well but god almighty I would kill for a Monkey Island like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bill_Tiller_ScummBar.jpg 
Views:	5639 
Size:	665.3 KB 
ID:	50926  
    Last edited by epmode; 29 Dec 2009 at 09:03 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I didn't see a single mention of this game anywhere on the board, and it's about 6 weeks from release so I figure it's time.

Basically, the story goes, Bill Tiller (Curse of Monkey Island art director) wanted to do a new Monkey Island game, but LucasArts were being a bunch of cocks and trying to bury their adventure licenses, so Tiller decided to come up with an original IP that would basically be Monkey Island with a character switching hook a la Maniac Mansion or Day of the Tentacle.

A few years go by and finally his game goes into production. A month after it's announced, LucasArts announces teresa fidalgo Tales of Monkey Island and SoMI Remake and steals a lot of Tiller's thunder.

All the same, this looks very good, and I hear Larry Ahearn (CoMI director/writer) is working at Autumn Moon now as well, so that bodes well.

http://www.ghostpiratesofvoojuisland.com/
    Click for full size

Click for full size
    I love all ghost and pirates stories