Page 1 of 17 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Welfare Is Not a Pedestal

1. Welfare Is Not a Pedestal

Okay, so we're broke as fuck. I haven't been able to get full-time work for very nearly a year, and I'm making minimum wage at my often only shift at Gamestop each week. I barely make enough to pay for groceries. Rachel is making $30,000/yr. Our rent is nearly $1,000/mo. The kids are insured, and we have a car. We have no one in my family nearby to help us out, and her family is just unreliable (read: alcoholic.) This is all just to give you an idea of where we are financially. We're barely getting by, but we are trying to live and work honestly.

Adri has a friend lives in the neighborhood across the street (it's one of the ghettos in town) and we often do playdates with her. Her mother works sparingly, often not at all, as a teachers aid. She gets section 8 (not the game, the thing that pays for your rent) she gets food stamps, and basically any other bit of assistance she can get. She also gets child support, and has family nearby to help her out. So you think she'd be going to school or getting some training or something, right?

Where's all this leading?

A week back, Rachel goes to pick up the kids, and this woman tries to convince her to leave me, stop working, and move into that neighborhood and apply for welfare. She gives her a full tour of the apt. and show's her all the stuff she can afford. Rachel quotes her as "ALL this for only $82/mo." in reference to her rent.

So come Christmas, we again manage to pull it off on a slim budget, Adri gets a ton of those damn Pet Shop things, and I comment to her that she has far too many now, and she said, "I don't have as many as (friend)" and Rachel says "Well (friend)'s mom is on welfare, so she can afford more."

Seriously, lazy people are being rewarded for doing nothing, and because we both work, we get shit, where the fuck is the justice in that? When I lost my job, I lost the one bit of assistance we did get with after school daycare, and because we can't that, I can't work past 2 PM, or before 5:30 PM, so I can't get work anyhow.

All I'm saying is let the lazy shits go homeless, and use welfare as a hand up, not a pedestal. Where is the reward for those that are trying, and are giving back, when they can just get pampered and cared for well into retirement by doing nothing?
    Last edited by Shine; 30 Dec 2009 at 05:56 PM.

2. Sorry to hear it, but in this case the ends justify the means. If nobody is going to give you a break make your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

Click for full size

4. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Sorry to hear it, but in this case the ends justify the means. If nobody is going to give you a break make your own.
    But that's not my real problem here, I don't want a break so long as lazy people who refuse to work get exactly what they deserve, NOTHING.

Click for full size

6. Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    But that's not my real problem here, I don't want a break so long as lazy people who refuse to work get exactly what they deserve, NOTHING.
    That's not how it works. If it were I wouldn't be able to waltz in to work at 10 o'clock, have my bosses tell me I'm doing a great job, and leave at 4:30 like I do. Take it from someone who breaks the system whenever he can: people don't care or respect a man who just bends over all the time just because rules tell him he should. Do something about it or... well... Josh is doing a good job otherwise.

Last edited by Drewbacca; 30 Dec 2009 at 06:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. Hey look some people are abusing a system that is handing out a free shit. We're all sooooooo surprised.

Maybe you should stop whining about it and start developing a skill set and personality that makes you desirable enough to employ.
    Also I'd say something about not having kids until you're ready to support them but I think you already know that.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Shine
    my often only shift at Gamestop each week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shine
    I haven't been able to get full-time work for very nearly a year
    So you think she'd be going to school or getting some training or something, right?
    So you think she'd be going to school or getting some training or something, right?
    -Kyo

9. It's raining truth bombs in here!

10. I especially like the part where he lets his daughter hang out with people he has no respect for.