Page 1 of 291 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL Pub 2010

1. TNL Pub 2010

Tonight I had my first Dogfish Head Squall IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by DFH website
    An unfiltered, 100% bottle-conditioned, super-pungent imperial I.P.A. clocking in at 9% ABV and dry-hopped with Palisade, Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade, CTZ, and Willamette hops.

This is one dirty 90 minute ipa. The nose was indeed pungent and might lead you to believe this might be a "jailhouse brew". However the taste brings the same malt sweetness and an even more balanced flavor than the traditional 90 min. Pours a deep cloudy copper. I love bottle conditioned beers for their funk and full flavor. This beer had rich malt and citrusy hops, and a bonus yeast and earthy flavor that took all the bitterness right off the back of the tongue. I need to get another bottle to see what aging will add to the flavor profile. Dogfish never ceases to amaze me because here they have improved on their best beer.

I also opened a bottle of Stone Sublimely Righteous Ale. ABV 8.7% 90 IBU's.

The nose on this is a toasty caramel and pepper. Pours an even dark brown/almost black. Definitely tart immediately on the tongue but goes down smooth. Perfect for the cold weather. Because of the bitterness and medium body I would deem this a "black IPA". It reminds me of the Vertical Epic 080808. Not an exceptionally new flavor from Stone, but consistently bitchin' nonetheless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squall.png 
Views:	4712 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	51023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssra_small.jpg 
Views:	4718 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	51024  

2. The nose on this one is sugary sweet with a bit of a caustic, acid tinge. The flavor matches, and the carbonation tickles the back of the tongue as the beverage rolls down into the throat. It pours a dark caramel color that's very clean and crisp, no cloudiness whatsoever. If you shake it up, you get a hefty head out of a bottle. I've heard the Mexican version uses pure cane sugar, which should be impressive but I cannot report first hand.

3. You'd better put some booze in that or GTFO.

4. I don't drink booze. If I'm at a bar, I usually sip a Redbull and go nuts. Minus the nuts part.

5. I've been carded for less you sexy Mormon.

Yeah, maybe you should get the fuck out of this thread?

On topic time!

St. Bernardus Prior 8:

It's a Belgian Dubbel, which I can't really taste yet because I just slaughtered my taste buds with a fake chicken patty with pepper jack cheese and marinara sauce (bangin).

Honestly, I don't think this is as good as the Allagash Dubbel Reserve, which has become my standard for judging Belgian, and Belgian style beers. This has a thin mouthfeel, with a slightly farty aftertaste. Not as sweet as other Dubbels I've had. Rather drinkable for the 8%, but I don't think I'd get this again.

Might open up one of the 2007 Raison D'Extra's I have lying around later tonight. Will update with the infos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18671_1156751008992_1534250790_30346876_648021_n.jpg 
Views:	4867 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	51025  

The only St. Bernardus that I have had is the Abt 12. How do these others compare?

9. Is MarkRyan serious?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    ...with a slightly farty aftertaste.
    Quit joking around.