Page 1 of 11 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Your top 10 films of 2000-2009

1. Your top 10 films of 2000-2009

It could just be because im paying more attention, but I think the last decade in movies was really strong. Time to list your favorite films of the decade!

1) Mysterious Skin - I don’t think any movie had a more profound effect on me than this. Flawless.

2) Mullholland Drive - A Masterpiece in atmosphere.

3) Wet Hot American Summer - Absurdist, genius comedy. There’s nothing like it anywhere.

4) Requiem for a Dream - Really captures the feeling of being out of control. Grim and unrelenting.

5) Donnie Darko - Over played but a really fantastic film. I love the ambiguity of it.

6) Kill Bill - Everything I love about movies can be found here. Just a fantastic adventure.

7) Pan’s Labyrinth - Beautiful and mature fairytale with the best creature design ever caught on film. The violence was a welcome surprise too.

8) The Royal Tenenbaums - Before Wes Anderson established it as his style, no movies looked or felt like this. It gets better with repeated viewings.

9) Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind - A sentimental film about the joys and pain of a relationship.

10) Oldboy - Brutal and original, with an ending that will fuck you up.

Honorable mentions:

Before The Devil Knows You’re Dead
    Adaptation
    American Psycho
    Zodiac
    Children Of Men
    Memento
    Super Troopers
    Haute Tension
    Inside
    Martyrs
    The Incredibles
    Mystic River
    Cocaine Cowboys
    District 9
    Sin City
    There Will Be Blood
    Last edited by arjue; 07 Jan 2010 at 08:20 PM.

2. I'd say the past ten years were better than the ten before them. 2007 and 2008 were ridiculous. And 2009, well, it gave me a chance to catch up at least.

10. Vanilla Sky
    - A lot of people think this sucked, come to find out. Well, fuck those guys!

9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - The Kaufman spot will eventually belong to Synecdoche, New York. Synecdoche is the better movie; I simply haven't seen it enough. Christ, that movie is an emotional investment.

8. Thank You For Smoking - I hesitate to call this movie witty because "witty" in movie talk usually means "not that funny" or "British" (often both). TYFS is what Woody Allen would be writing if Woody Allen had been born in 1979.

7. Juno - This kind of took a hit from Michael Cera Overload Syndrome (MCOS) much like The Matrix took a hit after its sequels. Still one of my favorites.

6. High Fidelity - I've seen this more times than any other movie over the past ten years. It was my date-friendliest movie for a while, and evolved into something of a litmus test.

5. Let the Right One In - This movie gets better every time I watch it. The "Best. Vampire movie. Ever," quip on the front cover is annoyingly misleading. Lots of really cute, heartwarming scenes!

4. Almost Famous - Surprisingly, it's the only one on my list featuring Phlllip Seymour Hoffman. I hope I've not upset him.

3. Kill Bill 1 & 2 - Fair to count them as one movie? Seeing the first one in the theater seven times plus at least a dozen views between DVD and BR hasn't muted the goosebumps I get every time that siren sounds.

2. Lost In Translation - This movie has put me to sleep on many a night. In a good way. It tucks me in and kisses my forehead.

1. Inglorious Basterds - I like this one the best.

I wish 10 was more so I could include these:

Waitress
    2LDK
    City of God
    Atonement
    The Wrestler
    Savages
    Capote
    Knocked Up
    Mrs. Pettigrew Lives For A Day
    Pan's Labyrinth
    I <3 Huckabees
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 07 Jan 2010 at 03:37 PM.

3. Hmmm... This list will evolve throughout the day. Right now the initial thought off the top of my head:

The Incredibles

Up (yeah, Pixar is great enough for 2 of 'em)

Dawn of the Dead (Kick ass)

Eternal Sunshine - It's just great.

Transformers RotF - I know damn well it is a horrible movie, but spectacle and nonsense on a scale that immense with no regard for anything but "awesome" must be recognized. It is "art for cavemen". And it is the best art for cavemen ever made.

Team America - Probably the funniest movie in the past 10 years. Manages to say something, too.

300 (kick ass)

Kill Bill (kick ass with style)

Shaolin Soccer (kick ass with hillarity)

That new one where Ferris Bueler is a pessimistic asshole (Can't remember the name)
    Last edited by Cheebs; 07 Jan 2010 at 11:29 AM.

4. In Alphabetical Order:

City of God -Cidade de Deus (2002)
    Kill Bill (2003)(2004)
    The Lives of Others -Das Leben der Anderen (2006)
    Mulholland Drive (2001)
    Nobody Knows - Dare mo shiranai (2004)
    The Pianist (2002)
    Spirited Away - Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi (2001)
    Synechdoche NY (2008)
    The Taste of Tea - Cha no aji (2004)
    There Will Be Blood (2007)

Next 10:

Adaptation (2002)
    Amores Perros (2000)
    Inglorious Basterds (2009)
    In the Mood for Love - Fa yeung nin wa (2000)
    Lord of the Rings Return of the King (2003)
    Memento (2000)
    No Country for Old Men (2007)
    Pan's Labyrinth - El laberinto del fauno (2006)
    Requiem for a Dream (2000)
    The Twilight Samurai - Tasogare Seibei (2002)

Top Guilty Pleasures:

Battle Royale - Batoru rowaiaru (2000)
    Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)
    Burn After Reading (2008)
    Donnie Darko (2001)
    Ichi the Killer - Koroshiya 1 (2001)
    In Bruges (2008)
    Oldboy (2003)
    Sin City (2005)
    1st 2/3rds of Sunshine (2007)
    Snatch (2000)
    Last edited by D_N_G; 07 Jan 2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Updated with dates and proper titles

5. In no order. And yes, that was a great decade.

The Fountain - Affected me on so many levels. I've hated everything else Aronofsky has done, so I almost missed this.
    The Fall - Some of the best cinematography I've ever seen, and a wonderfully bizarre story to match.
    Along Came Polly - This movie is so dear to me.
    The 40 Year Old Virgin - Funniest comedy ever.
    Let the Right One In - Yep, best vampire movie ever confirmed.
    CJ7 - Stephen Chow's best. For reals.
    Spirited Away - Second only to Ghost in the Shell as the best anime film ever made.
    Pan's Labyrinth - Gorgeous, multilayered, scary, fantastic. It creates so many emotions with such grace.
    LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring - I didn't think Peter Jackson would come close. Instead, he absolutely nailed it. Can't say the same for the rest of the trilogy though.
    The Descent - Best horror film since Alien, which isn't surprising, since Neil Marshall wanted it that way.

And since I feel bad for excluding them:
    May, Hero, Oldboy, REC, Dodgeball, WALL-E, Tokyo Godfathers, 5 cm Per Second

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

6. This is in no order whatsoever, I change my mind too much to do that. Hell, any of the honorable mentions could be substituted in depending on my mood.

Iron Man - I'm a bit biased since Stark has been my favorite Marvel character for as long as I've been reading comics and I'm not sure how they could have transitioned him to the big screen better.

Speed Racer - It's so pretty and such a great adaptation of one of my favorite childhood cartoons.

The Hangover - I know it hasn't been around long enough to really judge it's staying power, but I've watched it more than any other new movie in the past 10 years.

Kill Bill 1 & 2 - It's one movie and it kicks all kinds of ass.

Super Troopers - It never gets old, I could watch it once a month and still laugh my ass off.

Aragami - Easily my favorite foreign film of the decade, I love the minimalistic approach and this my be the greatest duel ever filmed.

Rambo - It's a throwback to that magical era of balls to the wall brutal action movies I love. And Rambo kills like 100 people, that's always a good thing.

K-PAX - I was looking at my DVD shelf and realized that I haven't watched this in about a year. I'm going to remedy that tonight.

Forbidden Kingdom - Jet Li & Jackie Chan teach the kid from Sky High kung-fu. I really shouldn't have liked this as much as I did but I can't help but love it.

LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring - I never thought Hollywood would be able to do this right. Peter Jackson proved me wrong.

Honorable Mentions:

Wet Hot American Summer
    The Life Aquatic
    Team America
    High Fidelity
    The Last Samurai
    Juno
    Lost in Translation
    Wall-E
    Clerks 2
    Equilibrium
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

7. There's so many.

1. Iron Man
    2. Road To Perdition
    3. Gladiator
    4. Frost/Nixon
    5. The Dark Knight
    6. Spiderman 2
    7. The Prestige
    8. Chicago
    9. Wall -E
    10. The Last King of Scotland

Honorable Mentions:

• The Incredibles
    • 40 yr old Virgin
    • Lilo and Stitch
    • Napoleon Dynamite
    • Monsters Inc.
    • Constant Gardener
    • Bourne Identity
    • The Kingdom
    • Gran Turino
    • Taken
    • Million Dollar Baby
    • Sherlock Holmes
    • The Departed
    • Munich
    • Mongol
    • Donnie Darko
    • Kill Bill Vol. 1
    • History of Violence
    • Eastern Promises
    • Watchmen
    • Gangs of NY
    • Hidalgo
    • 28 days later
    • The Ring
    • Team America
    • Speed Racer
    • Tropic Thunder
    • The Machinist
    • American Psycho

Yeah I listed a hella lot in the honorable mention ... oh well
    Last edited by Advocate; 07 Jan 2010 at 12:22 PM.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

8. No order:

1. There Will Be Blood
    2. Kill Bill Vol 1
    3. Gangs of New York
    4. Eternal Sunshin of the Spotless Mind
    5. Memento
    6. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    7. Spirited Away
    8. No Country for Old Men
    9. Children of Men
    10. Wall-E

I don't think these are the best movies that came out in the last 10 years, but they are all ones that I enjoyed and they are all movies that I can clearly visualize. Looking at some other people's list there are movies that I know I enjoyed watching but cannot remember well enough to really rate. Like, I am almost certain I LOVED The Pianist, but fucking if I can really remember it. I also really remember liking Spike Lee's 25th Hour, but I know not everybody did, and I'm not sure if I watched it today if I would feel the same way.
    Last edited by Mman; 07 Jan 2010 at 01:25 PM.

9. Damn... Speedracer, Spirited Away, Napolean Dynamite, Million Dollar Baby, and Gran Turino...

My list revision is going to be hard to nail down.

And what is up with the love-fest for "There will be Blood"? That was some boring meaningless shit.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mman View Post
    1. Fight Club
    2. The Matrix
    Think again.