Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: LCD TV recommendations

1. Intel has a demo of glasses free 3D. It works really well, but only if you are viewing at it from specific angles. Shit has to be filmed specifically for this sort of 3D tech. This has a loooooooooong way to go before anyone will really care about this stuff for the home.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    Intel has a demo of glasses free 3D. It works really well, but only if you are viewing at it from specific angles. Shit has to be filmed specifically for this sort of 3D tech. This has a loooooooooong way to go before anyone will really care about this stuff for the home.
    So it's like any LCD tv then.

3. *slaps knee*

4. Quote Originally Posted by Hot Like Wasabi View Post
    So I am thinking of finally purchasing my first LCD flat screen. I currently use a 32 Philips CRT Widescreen that does 1080i. I still really enjoy the picture but it is a beast to move and I am starting to notice a rainbow effect on the side of the screen.

This is what I am eying right now...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KD...enextleve04-20
    looks nice, I'm seeing some reviews that mention back lighting/color issues... of course you can't take a few negatives too seriously when mixed in a sea of positives. Have you seen the TV in person? bring a few movies with you that cover the spectrum of options (dark, bright, fast paced action, etc.) see how it performs.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Hot Like Wasabi View Post
    This is what I am eying right now...

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BRAVIA-KD...3066051&sr=8-1
    I have the 40" and 52"/60hz version of this television and it is fucking amazing. After optimizing the set I've never seen a better picture in my life. Take the plunge, you won't be sorry.

6. I've decided to go the 32" route, been looking at THIS tv... I have a $100 gift card to costco, the final price should be around $380. Looks like it has positive reviews, the negatives seem to revolve around the menu functionality... which isn't a big deal to me. Anybody have any experience with Vizio's?

also, this tv has an RGB connection... not VGA. If I were to go VGA from my computer into the RGB (converted)... would the signal be as good as if it were a VGA connection? or would it suffer?

THIS one has also got me thinking, less resolution and HZ but better brand and reviews seem to outshine the Vizio.
    Last edited by Jason; 13 Jan 2010 at 12:51 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    50" 720p plasmas are dirt cheap. Pay a little more for 1080p Samsung, it will blow you away.
    I got a 50" 1080p Samsung on Black Friday for $900. It has blown me away.

8. You should also consider going the plasma route coz you can save a lot of money. And if you compare the LCD TV ratings of various brands and read the expert reviews, there's no doubt that you will get the best bang for your buck. Just my opinion.

9. I'd rather stick to Costco since I have $100 off and they only have a 42" plasma for $600, that's too big at the moment.

10. I'm thinking about picking up an LED TV in the coming months. I've seen ~50'' Samsung 1080p 120Hz LED's right around the $1.2k mark, which seems like a solid deal? I'd get a 10% discount if I picked it up at the right place. I guess I have a few questions, though...

LED-lit LCD currently is the best tech for a TV set, yeah?

Can that whole '120Hz' thing always be adjusted/disabled? Schlep mentioned interpolated vs. not, etc., and I just want to make sure that certain sets wouldn't be "locked" in any particular mode. What about the 240 Hz ones?

I want to get a decent-sized set, but the viewing distance will probably be about 8' from the wall to the futon... does anyone know what the optimal size is for this distance?

Are there any particular recommendations? It seems like the Sony and Sharp models are typically a bit more expensive than the Samsung ones, but I'd pay a bit more if they're definitely going to be better. Like I said in a previous post, I really haven't been keeping up on TV's in the last few years.
    Last edited by koda; 25 Jan 2010 at 09:59 PM.