Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

1. Really enjoying this one. I decided to pick it up again in anticipation of Devil Survivor Overclocked on 3DS, which comes out next week.

I like how SMT forces you to play differently than other RPGs. Status-based attacks actually work, including instant-kill spells. And it encourages you to swap out demons frequently.

I'm in the shopping mall dungeon and I'm not quite sure where I'm going.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. The most useful weapon in the game that I had was a gun that could petrify enemies, it worked a significant amount of time. Seriously it made any of the high HP enemies so much easier to deal with.

I finished Delphinus over the weekend and have not lost interest at all. I typically play 1-2 hours at a time and am up to ~26 hours on the in-game clock. I agree with sleeve regarding the status attacks. Some of those actually align with the Chrono Cross like strength/weakness system. For example, the instant death skills he mentioned are typically aligned to certain enemy weaknesses, though they can work on enemies neutral to those as well.

I love the enemy designs. I can't believe it took me so long to get into this series. I don't know what I was doing throughout the PS2's lifetime, but it should have been playing these.

4. There is one sector that drags the game down, too much story-based backtracking and recycling of art assets. Other than that it's one of the best RPGs I've played.

I suspect you're referring to the third one, Carina. At least I hope so.

6. Close to the endgame, Carina is mild by comparsion.

God damn it.

8. I stopped playing it first in Sector E; came back, trucked through that, though the boss of that area was a fucking bitch.

Then I stopped in the next sector again.

I just started this over a few nights ago. Killer shit.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I really need to START this.
    I really do.