Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

1. Nintendo DS Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Website up:

http://www.atlus.com/strangejourney

Due out March 23rd.

Looks like the definitive dungeon romp on DS and the 40/50's era Sci-Fi art direction is a nice change.

2. This is apparently Shin Megami Tensei 4 in all but name. I'll get it for sure (<3 Kazuma Kaneko <3) but fuck Atlus for the DS downgrade. Nocturne was awesome and I really wanted to see how this would look on hardware from the last decade.

3. I was really, really bored by 4.

4. It doesn't look like SMT4 in all but name...

5. Developers have said that the only reason it wasn't called SMT4 was because it wasn't set in Tokyo.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

How does one go about having the awesome idea of SMT in space and then fuck it up by putting it on the DS?

edit: I clicked on Downloads for shits and giggles. They don't have any 1680x1050 wallpaper either. Someone rescue me from 1997.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 08 Jan 2010 at 10:09 PM.

7. Uhm, because this game is basically exactly what the mainline SMT series has been? They were always old-school dungeon crawlers, and you've have to be crazy to think that there's any platform better for such games at this point than the DS.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    They were always old-school dungeon crawlers, and you've have to be crazy to think that there's any platform better for such games at this point than the DS.
    That's easy. I'd like them to try making a modern dungeon crawler on PC. To date, no RPG has ever managed to best Wizardry 8 at the subgenre, and designing games for the DS is not going to change matters. I'm getting sick of games like Etrian Odyssey, The Dark Spire, and now this, that use the hardware limitations of the DS as an excuse for not going beyond 1992 in game design concepts.

9. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    you've have to be crazy to think that there's any platform better for such games at this point than the DS.
    Well, we won't know for sure until Japan gets off its ass and makes one for a modern system. Has Atlus even developed a single current-gen game?

PSP > DS
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery