Thread: Help Setting Up a Slideshow

1. Help Setting Up a Slideshow

I'm trying to prepare a slideshow for the 2010 Palm Springs Photo Festival. It's a free entry and offers some nice little prizes. What I am trying to figure out is how to create it with the best possible results for display. If it was for display by dvd on a regular TV, I would know exactly what to do, but this is going to be run on a projector via a computer.

The guidelines for the slideshow are:
    Mac readable format with each image saved separately in a folder as well as incorporated into your show. All images should be sized to 1000 pixels on the long dimension. We accept Quicktime movies and Keynote presentations. You may also simply send jpgs in a folder with your music selection and if your work is selected, we’ll put it together provided you number your images in the order you’d like them projected. Slide shows cannot be longer than three minutes in duration and should have music. If you don’t we’ll try to marry the work with music at our end. Please include your music file in a separate folder on your disk.
    The main thing I am trying to figure out is sizing and settings. I plan on using FCP to put the slideshow together. Seeing as it says a max size of 1000 pixels on the longest side, I would assume setting the video res to 1000x1000 would be best and setting the pixels to square since it is being run off a computer. My main concern is the projector. I don't really know much on how projectors work these days or what the projector they will be using is capable off. Would sizing the video at 1000x1000 be best, or should I play it safe and make it 720x480? Another concern is file size and quality. Using photo-jpeg as the compressor gives the best quality, but file size seems like it will be huge. Any advice how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. I already sent one e-mail off to them asking about it, but didn't get any help.

2. I would make a couple of versions of it, will you have any opportunity to test it with their projector before it's shown? maybe do a standard 720x480 and then another version with the 1000x1000 (or whatever works based on the image dimensions). Is JPEG the best quality? I always found BMP's to look better in my own experience... I'm not an expert though.

As far as settings are concerned, 8-bit, uncompressed QT would be the best but the file will be big. The MJPEG-A codec on highest quality will be close at a much smaller size.
    Last edited by Jason; 13 Jan 2010 at 02:07 PM.

Try playing a PC game on Cowutopia's computer.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery