Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need art for a website

1. what he said. Plus, you could always say "hey, I'm looking to spend X, what can I get for that?"

I was taught through school that even if doing a logo may cost Y realistically, there's always a way to do it for X. It may involve less concept work, less research, yada yada, but the goal is to stay flexible within a certain tolerance. Like...doing a 6 month project for $50 is so unreasonable there's no 'middle ground' between a client and designer.

Anywho! You could always try to make it a fun contest-like thing too! Give something away and give folks an excuse to flex their design muscle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

2. Most great designers loathe spec work. But you could try. There's also sites like logopond.com (look at its "network" affiliates for more samples) that you can go to for cheap design. The logo will not be that great, but it will be OK. Good value for the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. don't forget www.guru.com

it's like a bid on work site. So you put up what you want and creatives try to outbid each other.

Which is saddest thing for all designers in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    Give us some more damn information, nobody's gonna steal your stupid idea.
    It will be easier to wait until we get the problem statement finished and post that. Otherwise I might not explain it well (which I seem to do here, a lot) and end up answering the same questions over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    No I won't. Advertising is important for brands trying to establish themselves, but like anything in business you have to look at it as an investment. What kind of return would you see on advertising right now? You don't have a product launched officially. It's putting the cart before the horse. What you're doing is actually the proper way to go about it. Having a coherent design people can navigate for information and placing proper focus on the niche you're carving out for yourself is exactly what you need right now. The best and most profitable sites on this crazy information super highway we live on slow build from word-of-mouth.
    Maybe I chose the wrong word. I think I meant "image." Which is always important, from day one. The image of your product, team, quality of work, etc always matters. It can make the difference in bringing in good workers and investors. Hell, if all I do is finish this and take my grade on it, it still matters. Image can create a positive bias. People overlook flaws in things all the time, just because they really dig something. Seriously, where do you think so many industry fanboys come from? It isn't always the products.

So even though I don't have the money right now, I understand the importance of good quality graphic design even at the early stages of a project. It builds a positive outlook for anyone who wants to invest and it builds good morale for those working on the project. People feel like they are less part of a shitty start up and more like they are a part of something real and something that will go somewhere.

I guess what I am saying is that I do value the work of the people here that do graphic design and art. I may not have the money for it right now, but I do realize that it is important and it can have a pretty positive impact on things.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 22 Jan 2010 at 01:52 PM.

Well, none of this may matter. I talked to design head and he thinks that it would be "unfair" and that it would make him "uncomfortable" if I let anyone work on our website. Personally I think it would offer invaluable experience to my team by giving them a chance to work with other non engineers, BUT WHAT DO I KNOW?

7. Yeah, that sounds riduculous. How would it be unfair to get someone to do something you want and knows how to? If that makes them uncomfortable, so what?

Web designers need to take into account the programmers needs before making it look pleasing. They deal with their industry (which is what they do) and in tandem with one they're 'uncomfortable' with (since they may not know as much/anything that the programmer does).

Got some more feed back from the man in charge. Logos and images are fine. But he wants my team to do the bulk of the web design =/

And I gotta do what he wants. He is handing out the grades and he is in charge of funding.

9. To expect any talented designed to design in a preset box is counter productive. It squanders creativity. Sounds like a frantically managed project.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

10. Sounds like you have a wannabe designer in charge who can't draw.