Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Commodore Amiga

1. Stunt Car Racer deserves a nod Neo.

The first time I saw an Amiga (in person) was at a Federated store in Phoenix. It was probably around the fall of 1986.

This Ray traced demo was on display, and I quite literally shat myself.

I later saw the juggler in 1987.

I didn't get an Amiga (500) until 1989. The 1000 was over $1,500 and it was not until the $599 Amiga 500 came out, that I could afford the machine.

The Test Drive series got its start on the Amiga, and it was one of the first titles I'd bought for the system. Dragon's Lair: Time Warp was pretty impressive, considering the game was on 6 floppy discs, yet Digital Leisure managed to get it close to the arcade game. I'd also bought Dragon's Lair: Escape from Singe's Castle. It was probably the best looking Don Bluth game on the Amiga, though Space Ace was pretty solid as well.

I still have my Amiga 500 and the 1084S monitor I'd bought with it. I dust off the computer at least once a year, along with the C-64.
    Last edited by gamevet; 23 Jan 2010 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bVork
    I don't know how NZE missed this.
    That's one I did remember but left out as I still haven't played enough of it yet (I have always had issues with it fucking up on emulators for some reason and haven't played it on a real system) and I knew you would mention it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    Yes, that irony is not lost on me. Tomb Raider is essentially PoP in 3D in fact.
    PoP is American but for some reason it seemed to inspire European developers more, at least back then.

3. Although I missed out on many of the best Amiga games when I was young, I have fond memories of the games I did have. My first computer was an A500, and it's still my favourite.

Not all arcade ports were bad. I remember Arkanoid and Space Harrier both having amazing control with the mouse, and Action Fighter, Alien Syndrome, and Bad Dudes were great. Most of the Sega and Capcom ports were disgraceful, though.

There's a game called Mind Walker that always fascinated me, but I couldnever get very far in it. The skull and crossbones that appear when you die are burned into my memory.

There are a few other games that I'd recommend to anyone looking for unique or exclusive titles. Bubble Ghost is an awesome action puzzle game where you have to blow a bubble through and around obstacles to reach a goal. Bill's Tomato Game is similar, but relies on Rube Goldberg mechanics for it's gameplay rather than dexterity.
    The Pawn is a decent text adventure, with a comically simple text to speech option and some great music and static artwork to enhance the experience. The Faery Tale Adventure is an interesting action rpg that gives you three lives in the form of three brothers.

I can attest to the ball-busting difficulty of Shadow of the Beast II. The Genesis and Sega CD ports are a cakewalk compared to the original Amiga version, but the Amiga version is the one I keep coming back to, mostly because of the more appealing visuals and audio.

4. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    You missed Starglider and Starglider 2!

Starglider was an amazing pseudo-vector-based 1st person space shooter, heavily inspired by the Star Wars arcade game. It was more famous on the Atari ST but the Amiga had an excellent version as well. Starglider 2 was polygon-based and featured a really cool open world component (another precursor to GTA). Argonaut Software later went on to develop the early Starfox games, of course.

I always wanted to play Midwinter, another open world-style Rainbird release.
    The Starglider games were great. I did an article about them on IGN that like 3 people read because Americans don't care about older European games.

Midwinter is one of those games that is really impressive but has a steep learning curve. Damocles deserves mention as well.

I think what Yoshi might be complaining about with Euro games is more the shmups and platform games and other console-style games that always felt a bit "off" if you weren't used to them. Pressing up to jump, not having temporary invulnerability, little things like that make the experience feel a bit alien.

5. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    PoP is American but for some reason it seemed to inspire European developers more, at least back then.
    I think the divide between North American and European gaming back then was partly an extension of the divide between console and computer games. American computer devs were a lot more likely to pick up on Euro influences than console devs were, and Euro devs were more likely to pick up on American PC stuff.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The Starglider games were great. I did an article about them on IGN that like 3 people read because Americans don't care about older European games.
    What?

Most of my C-64 games were European.

I've played Star Glider (C-64) and I'm pretty sure I'd seen ads for the Atari ST version in Compute. I would have liked to have played the Amiga version, but I don't recall seeing it at retail.

7. Well there aren't many that care to click on articles about them anyway.

8. Sweet. I've been looking for good games for older computers. Its kind of an inaccessible scene if you don't know anything about it to begin with.
    To understand man, walk it shoe on other foots.

9. Starglider 2 looks like my kind of game, I need to fire up an emulator or see if there's a swanky remake kicking around.

I've actually got an Amiga in my room, some friends of my mom's had one and were clearing out their storage a couple years back. I haven't the slightest idea how to use it.

James

10. Amiga games are bootable so you don't really have to know anything to use it.