Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Commodore Amiga

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I think what Yoshi might be complaining about with Euro games is more the shmups and platform games and other console-style games that always felt a bit "off" if you weren't used to them. Pressing up to jump, not having temporary invulnerability, little things like that make the experience feel a bit alien.
    I don't honestly recall the specifics, but your point is right on about them feeling strange.

2. It's funny how distinctive the sprite work is in a lot of these games. You see games like Putty, James Pond, Lionheart, or Ruff 'n' Tumble, and you know instantly they're Euro games. The way they built higher palette sprites was totally different than American or Japanese games.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    I don't honestly recall the specifics, but your point is right on about them feeling strange.
    That's part of the reason I recommended Mega Turrican in the "if you like" thread for Contra fans. It uses standard Genesis controls and is more arcade-ish than the Amiga games in the series so I think it will appeal to fans of Japanese run 'n guns even if it's not exactly the same thing. And part of it is just adjusting to different stuff. I remember how I and many others thought Nintendo/Sega control pads were stupid compared to joysticks when they first appeared but then ended up loving them.

I actually do think you like or would like more European (and older Western stuff in general) than you think you do given the games you mentioned liking in this thread plus other Genesis, Lynx and DOS PC stuff you have talked about before. Like you said, some of the appeal comes down to theme. A lot of classic Japanese games don't have Western equivalents, though (and vice versa) so you can't go in expecting that. They excelled in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    It's funny how distinctive the sprite work is in a lot of these games. You see games like Putty, James Pond, Lionheart, or Ruff 'n' Tumble, and you know instantly they're Euro games. The way they built higher palette sprites was totally different than American or Japanese games.
    They also seemed to really like circular objects. Lots of shiny round things. What I find interesting is not so much that their art differed from Asian and North American stuff but that it varied little across different European countries that have their own cultures and languages. It's often hard to tell if a game is British, German, French, etc. by looking at it.

4. Am I the only one that loves Star Goose? It was a little vaguely Zaxxon-ish vertical scroller from the short lived Liverpudlian publisher Logotron. I had a lot of fun with it when I was younger (with the inferior DOS port) but it's better on its native Amiga.

I forgot all about that one. I haven't played it in a long time but I remember liking it.

6. I completely missed the amiga and they are rather expensive to come by these days, though I'd love to try some of these games.

I can say that I have loved my 2 commodore amiga monitors for forever. Some of the best looking RGB monitors I've owned/used. Truly solid little monitors.
    "50,000! You scored 50,000 points on Double Dragon?"

Factor 5 has some of their Amiga games downloadable for free. http://www.factor5.de/downloads.shtml

my attempt to keep this thread alive a little longer.

Interesting that Factor 5 has reverted to its older website. I wonder how many people are still employed there. Chris Huelsbeck seems to have gone freelance again, and none of the other people seem to have surfaced in new companies.

9. Well I think only the American division shutdown and the German one is the same as ever.

The German division only existed on paper while the American division was active. All of the major people, including Eggebrecht, Schmidt, Engel, Stember, and Huelsbeck, had relocated to the US.