Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Commodore Amiga

1. They might be in like a Westone situation then, where they exist on paper for licensing and contracting but they're just a few people.

Speaking of Westone and German Amiga developers, the Amiga had what was probably the first rip off of a Westone game (since Adventure Island doesn't really count as a rip off) with Thunderboy. Horrid game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thunderboy_04.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	51797  

3. It also had the weird Diaper Baby version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land.

The pic's not working but I remember it. Funny stuff.

I just beat Riddick Dark Athena on PC. Part way through the end credits the music goes all Amiga-sounding. Not surprisingly when I looked into it, I found the composer for the game (Gustaf Grefberg) was an Amiga musician.

5. I think cracktro should be an officially recognized music genre.

6. I had Thunderboy. It wasn't entirely bad. I remember it being difficult, but I renamed some files and made every enemy into the snail.

7. Lots of awesome games mentioned: Captain Blood, Speedball, Shadow of the Beast, Defender of the Crown, etc. Side note on Starglider -- Argonaut's last game (I believe) was Powerdrome on Xbox -- a truly excellent game that no one played. I'm still pissed it's not BC on 360.

Did Dungeon Master come out on Amiga? I played the ST version, and it was an incredible experience at the time. Hard as hell, though.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

8. Dungeon Master came out for Amiga too.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I think cracktro should be an officially recognized music genre.
    Agreed. I still fire up my C64 just to listen to cracktros on the sweet pure 6581 goodness.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

Amiga music sounds so distinctive mainly due to its reliance on the mod format, which lends itself very well to some specific styles. There's only so much you can do with 4 channels and very limited sample memory. A lot of the best Amiga musicians, however, ended up writing their own sound formats. Chris Huelsbeck wrote an insane 7-voice audio routine, which is why the title track for Turrican II and the end credits for Apidya are leagues beyond anything else on the platform. Of course, this routine requires a lot of processing, which is why it isn't used during gameplay.
    Last edited by bVork; 02 Feb 2010 at 12:24 AM.