Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS3 Questions

1. PS3 Questions

Going through the local gameshop out here and the manager overheard me talking about getting a PS3. He says "we have an old fat 80GB left for $229, but I could give it to you for $200"

So the question is - is this a good price for a 80gig PS3? What features are/n't in it? What are the benefits/drawbacks of getting the Slim instead?

Guy was awesome, said I could get it anytime I wanted (mentioned I still have to get paid/pay bills).

What's your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

There are no advantages to a post-launch fat PS3 (other than not looking retarded like te slim) to my knowledge. The 80 GB units don't have hardware BC. Only the 20s and 60s do.

3. 80gb had half software emulation. So youd need to check the BC compatibility guide to see what games played.

Also, it was only the Motorstorm and the MGS4 bundled 80gbs that had the half software BC, Im not sure what differentiates them from non BC 80gbs
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

4. you can install linux on the 80GB if that floats your boat

also, saving the extra $100 is probably worth it

5. I wouldn't get a fatty nowadays, even the 60/20gb systems have some weird quirks to emulation. If you really want to play ps2 games I think just sticking with a ps2 is the best option.

6. Quote Originally Posted by B-Ri View Post
    Also, it was only the Motorstorm and the MGS4 bundled 80gbs that had the half software BC, Im not sure what differentiates them from non BC 80gbs
    If the system is brand new and doesn't come with one of those games it is not backwards compatible. If it's used (I'm assuming this is used since he's giving you a good deal on it) ask to check the USB ports on the front. If there are four it is backwards compatible, if only two it is not. I am pretty sure backwards compatible 80gb systems also have the card slots above the USB ports, so that's another thing to check for.
    All is well.

7. If it has 4 usb slots on the front, its backwards compatible. If there's only two, its not. Here's my personal outlook on used systems. Don't do it. For $100 more, you get a full warranty and piece of mind that no one has mishandled the unit. If that $100 really makes a big difference in whether you can afford it, ya probably shouldn't be buying a ps3 in the first place.

I should add that that belief only applies to modern systems that A can be bought new and B have moving parts.

I totally agree with SSJN on that logic.

9. If only I could get my bottom line to agree with it. I make >$5 on new system sales, and double my money or better on used. Its not fun when your principles conflict with your wallet.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I wouldn't get a fatty nowadays, even the 60/20gb systems have some weird quirks to emulation. If you really want to play ps2 games I think just sticking with a ps2 is the best option.
    I made this mistake. But I didn't realize they took the PS2 backwards functionality out of the newer fat models and got royally boned when I wanted to try Final Fantasy 12 on it. I'm still bitter about it. Fuckers.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."