Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In A Gallery Show!

1. How are you going to do it? Lino or wood cut? Do you have access to a press?

2. No clue yet - friend said that Speedball has beginner lino and screen kits, so I may do it myself. Also looking into getting it done at a screening place or putting up a craigslist ad to see if a student wants to make some extra money.

Truth is, I don't know how expensive it's supposed to be to get screening done. So I'm worried that I could get screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

3. If you could find a student with access to a schools' press that would be ideal. Just depends on how greedy the student is...

By all means try out some of the speed ball stuff. Even if you don't use it for this show, I doubt this will be the last time you encounter this situation. Even the rubber stamp stuff could work. You might want to go with a more character based approach if you end up working that small though. PM me if you want anymore ideas on the DIY stuff, I have a bit of experience with this entry level stuff.

Any way you end up doing it, printing it yourself is going to be pretty difficult. Start doing tests today because it may take you a while to find a process that gives you results you will be comfortable charging people for.

if you need any tips my buddy majored in printing.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

5. cool, I'll keep that in mind! When I start making the prints there will be a ton of questions.

6. I believe Firstblood majored in printmaking as well.

7. Came up with a vertical format poster too!

(I kinda like this one more!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hanginthereWIP2.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	52177  

8. The "IN" kind of gets lost, maybe another color?

9. I don't know what your final idea is, but based on the images you posted you'll probably want to go with silkscreen. Especially if you're doing multiple colors and/or any intricate details, a block print (wood or lino, either way) can get kind of frustrating and messy if you're not comfortable with the medium. But it's doable, if you want to try it out.

Since you're in CA, you should have no problem finding a smaller, artist-run silkscreen shop to do a small print run for you. Try looking through facebook/myspace for artist groups or places that print fancy T-shirts/Records, they can probably hook you up. I don't have much experience with pricing, but the price will go up with the size of the print and the number of colors used. Getting a student from craigslist is also a great idea, as they probably can use their schools inks/screens so you're just paying for their labor, BUT the prints might be a little rough around the edges.

Also, go with the horizontal layout. The scale of the letters vs the cat really works, makes him seem much more helpless. Well, not helpless, but like he's trying really hard and you're yelling "HANG IN THERE GOD DAMMIT"
    Last edited by FirstBlood; 06 Feb 2010 at 12:40 PM.

10. Vertical one is better.