Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Pulls Plug on NASA's Orion/Constellation

1. Obama Pulls Plug on NASA's Orion/Constellation

I didn't see this posted here yet and figure more than a few of you will be interested. Even if we're all old and jaded now, space is still pretty rad, right?

President Barack Obama's 2011 budget request has effectively shut down NASA's five-year effort to return astronauts to the moon, leaving the U.S. space agency with lofty goals — but no firm deadlines — to once again send humans beyond Earth orbit.

The budget request, released Monday, would scrap NASA's Constellation program to build the Orion spacecraft and Ares rockets for new manned moon missions — a $9 billion investment to date. The request calls for $19 billion in funding for NASA in 2011, a slight increase from the $18.3 billion it spent in 2010.

The request does, however, pledge extra funding to extend the life of the International Space Station through at least 2020 and offers $6 billion over five years to support commercially built spaceships to launch NASA astronauts into space. The space agency's three remaining space shuttles are due to retire later this year.

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden, a former space shuttle commander, said that while the budget cancels the program building the agency's space shuttle replacement — the Orion crew vehicle — it is not trading away safety to embrace new, privately built spaceships to fly astronauts. It also paves the way for a "21st-century space program," he said.
    Full article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35182959...science-space/
    So I forced my hands in my pockets and felt with my thumbs and gallantly handed her my very last piece of gum.

Gay.

3. Super gay.

4. Infinity and beyond gay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    If I'm going to be taxed, I'd rather it be to build a Death Star than to feed lazy Wookiees.

5. Who needs NASA?

We've still got Rocket Nigger!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buu-rocket3.gif 
Views:	152 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	51869  

6. NASA should become a bank or some shit, threaten bankruptcy and then watch Obama and co. blow wads of cash all over their faces.

http://www.fvza.org/index.html

7. sounds the shadow government that is controlled by the greys finally put pressure on him

8. So who here has reading and comprehension skills beyond a sentence or two?
    Donk

9. Wait so he's increasing NASA's funding, but they have to shut down a project that they could afford in previous years when they were getting less? Wat?

10. Change in priorities.