Page 1 of 10 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's bitch: the evolution of the English language

Let's bitch: the evolution of the English language

As English is constantly evolving at a pace which is more rapid with the passing days because nobody has incentive to write things correctly, I hope to revisit this from time to time should I see a trend get on my nerves.

Case in point, this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Joe View Post
    This is because Konami sucks anymore.
    This is far from the first time that I've heard or seen the word "anymore" used like this but it is no less irritating to me. Did I not realize that this word is now allowed to be used as if it refers to a specific period of time?

Let me see if I can illustrate why I find this sentence to be so awful.

· This is because Konami sucks.

Acceptable sentence. A clear statement of opinion.

· This is because Konami sucks now.

Acceptable sentence. A statement denoting that the person's opinion of Konami sucking is within a current time frame.

· This is because Konami sucked then.

Acceptable sentence. This statement relates the opnion of Konami's sucking to a previous time period.

· This is because Konami can't make a good game anymore.

Acceptable sentence. The use of the word "anymore" at the end of the sentence denotes an extent to which Konami can't make a good game, ie., one can put a question before the sentence and have that as a response: "Can Konami make a good game?" - "No, Konami cannot make a good game anymore." I can parse that sentence.

· This is because Konami sucks anymore.

What does this mean? What is Konami sucking anymore of? Besides my mom.

When the fuck did this start becoming acceptable English? If you want to refer to a time frame then use words like "now", "presently", "now-a-days", "currently", and so on. Those words denote a period of time. When used independently, the word "anymore" does not define any certain period of time.

Also, I cannot think of any instance in which the word "anymore" can be used as the first word of a sentence; yet, again, I've heard people write and say this numerous times.

Seriously - if anyone can point to a specific instance where this useage of the word has become accepted I'd like to know of it. I just can't take this dumbfuck sentence construction anymore.

2. Move to FC. I can't take people making threads in the wrong spot ... anymore.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

3. Want to know the easiest way to make me gnash my teeth in internet fury? "I could care less."

I could care less what you think.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Actually, language should no longer evolve in the same ways that it did before the printing press and later computers.

Sure, we get new words, but the ability to write things down and have national and global standards means that languages are now much more static.

6. It sounds weird to me too, but I can't find the energy to actually give a shit about it. Here's more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_anymore

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Actually, language should no longer evolve in the same ways that it did before the printing press and later computers.

Sure, we get new words, but the ability to write things down and have national and global standards means that languages are now much more static.
    Oh this is just too funny.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by flux=rad View Post
    Interesting.

It has been around for more than a century and seems to have become more popular in use within the last twenty years, and is identified as a midwestern dialect, but I don't recall hearing it used frequently until the last few years.

Looks like theres no way to stop this train.
    Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks
    As long as there's programs which allow a person to write text without a spellcheck function supporting it there will always be people who accidentally or insist on writing bad English.

Misused apostraphes and your/you're confusion will be with us until the end of time.

Quote Originally Posted by dog$ View Post
    I

As long as there's programs which allow a person to write text without a spellcheck function supporting it there will always be people who accidentally or insist on writing bad English.

Misused apostraphes and your/you're confusion will be with us until the end of time.
    Yes, it is "bad" English. As in, it is not acceptable.

For a langage to evolve, that kind of crap has to be accepted.

10. I approve of this thread because the amount of people who've outright raped the english language has seriously increased over time.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL