Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here into pen and paper RPG's?

1. Anyone here into pen and paper RPG's?

I've sat in on a game or two of D&D high school, and played a couple of sessions of a Rogue Trader game a few months back. Other than that, I have zero experience.

I'm starting to eye it as a creative outlet and am thus tinkering with putting together my own world to run a game. I bought the major Pathfinder books, and right now I'm still trying to figure out if I'll drown in my attempt to do this.

There are basically no hits when I search TNL for posts about RPGs, but I'm wondering if anyone around here plays and just doesn't talk about it.

Oh wait, let me get this out of the way before someone thinks they're clever:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	63417
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322

No.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. I guess for anyone interested in, but not familiar with the subject:

Pathfinder - Basically a third-party continuation of 3rd edition D&D (which completely rejuvinated the roleplaying market starting in the year 2000). When Wizards of the Coast dropped 3rd edition for 4th (which is a whole different game), the newly jobless publishers of Dungeon magazine and Dragon magazine (Paizo Publishing) took the 3rd edition rules, fixed a lot that needed fixing, and released it as Pathfinder in 2008. Just last quarter, Pathfinder actually surpassed D&D in sales (which is insane in the industry, though it was a dry period for D&D releases).

Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition - Dummies will parrot the line that it's just like WoW, but in reality, it plays eerily fucking similar to Final Fantasy Tactics. It's more accessible D&D for the masses, with laser-precise game balance. The downside is lots of homogenization between powers and classes.

Rogue Trader - That game I mentioned is one in a series of RPG's by Fantasy Flight Games based on the Warhammer 40,000 universe. You basically play the crew of a spacefaring merchant prince with more money than God and can do whatever you want. Other games include Dark Heresy (space inquisitors hunting out aliens, demons, and heretics), Death Watch (alien-hunting Space Marines stomping the shit out of everything), and Black Crusade (Chaos Space Marines; you play the depraved devil-worshipping bad guys). These are all top-notch books with great production quality.

World of Darkness - Vampire: The Masquerade, etc. This is for annoying people that you should avoid.

Other than those, there is a Dresden Files RPG out there now that is supposed to be fantastic, a neato cyberpunk/transhumanism Ghost in the Shell-esque game called Eclipse Phase, and the newest and most beautifully put together Legend of the Five Rings book, which is samurais and shit. Naturally there are tons more.
    Last edited by Uriel; 18 Oct 2011 at 05:09 AM.
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322

did marskitten or religious guy make a thread about this in sound off?

Dresden Files, that's pretty funny.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

6. I played virtually all of them in the '80s - D&D, Star Frontiers, Boot Hill, Dawn Patrol, Gamma World, and my favorite: Marvel Super Heroes (check it out here!). I'd love to start playing again, but no one around here is interested. Maybe I should check interest among students at my university.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    did marskitten or religious guy make a thread about this in sound off?
    What you're probably referring to is a bunch of p&p RPG talk that found its way into this thread about board games:
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/thr...to-Board-Games

8. I made a character sheet once, that's about as much interest as I've got for 'em before bolting. Character sheets are fun, though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. I played in two campaigns of D&D 4.0 and one 4th Edition Shadowrun game locally with friends. The guy that DM'd most of them moved to New Orleans for a year so all pen and paper stuff has been on hiatus. D&D 4.0 is interesting. Like Uriel said, it's a lot like FFTactics. It is VERY combat oriented. Every class is basically a wizard from prior D&D versions. You have powers (abilities or spells) you can do at-will, use them whenever you want as many times as you want. Then you have encounter and daily powers that are limited in how many times you can use them but usually are a lot more useful. Our D&D 4 games are very light on roll playing... we mostly spend our time in the cities or inhabited zones trying to find the next quest into the dungeon. It's all about exploration and combat, using the character you've developed in conjunction with the rest of your party to dominate.

One program we use specifically for D&D4.0 is Wizards of the Coast's official Character Builder. Not only does it cut down on the time trying to manage your character sheet, but it also helps you see every option you have for creating and leveling a character. It gives you access to every supplement Wizard's has released. You can spend hours trying to min/max your character's next level. It's one of the main reasons I'd recommend 4.0 over anything else.

If you are looking to host a game but don't have enough local friends or are decently tech savy I'd also recommend checking out RPTools. It's a website with java based open source tools to help you run games. I've messed around with MapTools a bit. It's really cool. You can create or download a campaign and use it as a base system... it even has the hosting and chat clients built in. Here is an example of some nerds using maptools of a projection based table. Stuff like the dynamic light paths is an impressive addition.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

10. I played AD&D 2nd Edition in high school and just recently I started playing Dungeons & Dragons 3rd edition that we then decided to switch over to 4th.
    I'm really digging 4th edition.

After my group finishes our current campaign we might try out BESM d20 (Big Eyes, Small Mouth; an anime-inspired P&P).