Thread: Video card woes

1. Video card woes

I just installed a new videocard on friday, and I'm having a lot of issues with performance. For some reason, I just can't get decent framerates in most games, and it doesn't seem to matter what my settings are.

For example, in Street Fighter IV, I can put all settings, except AA and AF, to their maximum value and get about 37fps at 1280x1024. Putting everything on the lowest possible setting gives me the same framerate. Lowering the resolution also doesn't help, either. I have noticed that set to 75Hz, I'll get 37.5fps, and set to 60Hz I get 30fps. V-sync makes little or no difference and using a fixed framerate makes the fps counter meaningless, but it still looks about the same. The extra touch effects eat up about 5fps, but that's about it.

I also get roughly the same framerate with Quake Live that I do with Crysis.
    This is weird. Stuff that my old 8400gs could handle at low resolutions and detail settings actually runs slower with the 9500gt at the same settings, but I can crank the detail with no performance hit.

My pc has a Sempron 3600+ 2GHz, 2GB DDR2 400 RAM, GF9500gt w/1GB DDR2. It's a low end machine to be sure, but it should be cranking out hundreds of fps in quake live instead of being choppy. My old set-up was the same thing but with an even slower video card, and it handled it fine.

2. what's the video card? what's your computer's processor?

Need more info to help here.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.