Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Roger Ebert's Battle with Cancer.

1. Roger Ebert's Battle with Cancer.

It has been nearly four years since Roger Ebert lost his lower jaw and his ability to speak. Now television's most famous movie critic is rarely seen and never heard, but his words have never stopped.

http://www.esquire.com/features/roger-ebert-0310

I had no idea. I find the whole thing completely humbling.
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

2. That really sucks. I still enjoy his reviews even if I don't agree with them.

3. Yeah, I don't find I agree with him all too often, but he's a great writer and more often than not a really good read.
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

4. Wow, has it really been four years? It seems fairly recent in my mind.

5. Wow, this really gets me...

I know it is coming, and I do not fear it, because I believe there is nothing on the other side of death to fear, he writes in a journal entry titled "Go Gently into That Good Night." I hope to be spared as much pain as possible on the approach path. I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state. What I am grateful for is the gift of intelligence, and for life, love, wonder, and laughter. You can't say it wasn't interesting. My lifetime's memories are what I have brought home from the trip. I will require them for eternity no more than that little souvenir of the Eiffel Tower I brought home from Paris.

6. Ebert is a great man. Seriously.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. One of the best film essayists of all time. Maybe the best.

8. Ebert is a great film reviewer and my cultural side would be much poorer were it not for his reviews and essays online. I really am glad he is still fighting the good fight and I hope he can still do it for as long as possible.

9. I dunno how I missed the news about him losing his lower jaw. Jesus. I'll reiterate that I didn't always agree, but he was damn good at what he did. He looks terrible.

10. The word you're looking for is "is". He's still moving and still writing, and the only thing that's changed is he can't talk about it on tv. It won't last forever, but at this point there still seems to be a plenty of time left.

That was a really good article, much longer than I normally have the patience to read online but I read every word, but too much like a eulogy.

James