Thread: Games and related movies

1. Games and related movies

We all know that most movies based on video games are pretty bad like Street Fighter and Wing Commander, but I think there are a few movies that adapt well to a game, but still does poorly.

Final Fantasy was a pretty bad movie, but I think it was very Final Fantasy-ish. At least the new FF games and maybe that's the problem. The newer FF games are poo, but still pretty amazing in graphics. Just like the movie. Okay, so I answered my own question on this one.

Starship Troopers is the closest movie that's Starcraft-like. I thought that movie was horrible, but I still think that a movie based on Starcraft would be kind-of cool. Like-wise for Warcraft 3.

I haven't watch Tomb Raider because I was never a fan of the series or even remotely interested in anything Tomb Raider related.

Probably the coolest movie related to a video game would have to be Tron. Runner up is The Last Starfighter. If you haven't seen The Last Starfighter, I suggest you pick it up for a rental. It's based off a shmup.

2. Lucas Barton loves the powerglove, its so rad.
    pwned by Ivan

3. All I have to say on the subject at the moment is, if the LotR games don't r0xx0r my b0xx0rs there'll be hell to pay...

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

4. Well, There are many bad game to movie translations, and only a few good ones:

Mortal Kombat - Considered one of the best conversions, and I totally agree with that. Stylishly shot, with use of some great fx and sets. Fighting is pretty good, and done before the current US wire craze It remained true to the game, and only thing missing was blood, but even with that absent, it was a cool flick. Cool score too, I have a soundtrack and its pumping

Super Mario Brothers - Weird, trippy, bad and laughable. Wierd choices for actors and bizzare Dino world. But I think its enjoayble watch, even as a campy film. Can watch it just for Lance Henriksen, as Mushroom King, who shows up in the last few minutes

Street Fighter - Consideredo one of the worst translations ever. Bad sets, action, dialog and acting. But its soo bad its great, and can be watch like a comedy

Tomb Raider - Crap, Crap, Crap. I like the TR series, and had some hopes for this one. It actually started great, with couple cool action scenes, but then turned into shit, with stupid story, bad acting, boring and stupid action. Blahhh !

Final Fantasy Spirits Within - I though it was a good movie. I dont understand all this hate towards it. Animation was great, the best I ever seen, voice acting was done well, and I though the story was ok too. Sure, it borrowed from many other films, but I still could enjoy it, and the ending was pretty sad

Double Dragon - Another wierd adaptation, But just as with SF, I enjoy this one on the campy level. Plus Mark Dacascos stars as Jimmy, and thats enough for me to enjoy this film. It does have some nice sets, and visual fx, but the fights are not its strongest side

Resident Evil - ANother great translation, Suspensful, scary, action packed and cool. Cool story, direction, action, and lots and lots of zombies Its stayed true to its roots and had R rating(original cut was NC17, and it will be presented on special ed dvd later this year)