Thread: DVD drive issues

1. DVD drive issues

Hey. My PC's DVD drive is acting funny. Whenever I try to read files on a DVD it gives me a hassle- the drive seems to start and stop a lot, but I can usually get to the files after a bit. Whenever I try to play a DVD movie, however, it almost always locks up whatever program I try to watch it with (I assume because it's not spinning the disc enough- again, the drive seems to have trouble starting and maintaining speed). However, I can always burn and rip DVDs with no problem whatsoever. I assume I need a new drive but I thought I'd throw this past you big brains first to see if it maybe sounds like a software problem instead (which I doubt).

And if it does seem like a bum drive, are they easy to swap out, and can I get opinions on a good brand/model? Thanks.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. They're cheap and pretty decent on Newegg. Just read reviews. All you gotta do is unscrew the dive then disconnect two wires. It takes 10 minutes to change drives. I think you can handle it.

3. I sure hope so! Thanks.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. yes dvd drives are probably the easiest user-replaceable component in your computer (and they do die, considering there's moving parts and lasers and all) and they're dirt cheap these days

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827129043 is probably one you'd wanna look at because it's IDE (wide flat bendy cable, common in pretty much any computer made in the last 15-20 years), but newegg does have SATA burners (better than ide, thin-ish small L-style connection, typically rigid red cabled) cheap too
    Last edited by cka; 22 Feb 2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: changed sammy link to a superior pioneer drive

5. Funny, my PC's DVD drive craps out but my near-launch PS2 DVD drive still works perfectly.

cka- funny timing, here. I'm not really a hardware guy but I'd recently been thinking of adding a 2nd hard drive to my PC to free up space on my main drive so I've been reading about the difference between IDE and SATA. Now I just have to pop open my tower (which I haven't done since I upgraded my RAM back in the day) and see which I have. Anyway, thanks for the help.

*EDIT* It's SATA.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 23 Feb 2010 at 12:31 AM.

6. It really doesn't matter. You probably have both connections, anyway.

The drive said it's tired of you watching Black Dynamite for the billionth time in two weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.