Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freelancers - HELP!

1. I got the impression he wanted pricing for his own reference.

2. What Dyne said - I want to be able to prove she's already gotten a steal for the job, and the additional fees wouldn't come close to what another firm/freelancer would charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

3. She should know going rates if she's in the market for what you're doing. Either way it sounds like she'll find out on her own soon enough.

4. Here's what I've got:

===========================

Hi [Them],

I'm a little put off by these new changes. I didn't know we were having a third party bringing in new input and requests, meaning another stretch of revisions.

When we talked on the phone I was optimistic that we were at the finish line and didn't want to charge extra for the last changes. I knew your project was on a tight budget and was hopeful that we could reach a design that not only you were happy with, but would be an example of an honest day's work for an honest day's dollar.

There was never mention of having another party brought into the creative process, and her requests being applied to the job. This means unexpected additional work from someone who wasn't involved with the initial design process.

With this in mind I'd have to start charging the [monies]/hr for any work here on out. If that conflicts with what you have set aside for budget, then I'd like to receive the remaining payment owed of [monies] and I'll deliver all the files, as per our contract.

I want to see this to the end, but I'm already operating at a loss. For a comprehensive design of a package & 2 logos with multiple revisions would cost substantially more with anyone else. Not to mention they would charge twice as much for an hourly rate of all work outside a contract. Every additional change without additional compensation at this point only makes me 'worth' less to continue on.

I'll be available for the rest of the night if you need to contact or call.

Thanks,

Kevin

=================================================

Know I'm in the right, but still hella nervous. People have a way of being as nice as pie to you until you don't give them what they want...then it's Mr. Hyde out to make life a living hell.

5. Who cares if they turn in to a baby? Their reaction would then only be a distraction to you from your goals (getting paid / making bank). You have to look at this as an investment. You may have made a bad one with her, but you can't devalue yourself on the market just to get 200 dollars. Because you'll be chasing 200 dollars from everyone. And by the time you've got it in hand it will have been 30 days+ later. Less than 10 dollars a day for your paycheque. Can you live on less than 10 dollars a day comfortably? Your time would be better spent searching for new job leads.

Just because someone else may be willing to work for 20 dollars an hour to do this doesn't mean you are, or should be. Let them struggle to make ends meet while you spend your time on truly worthwhile investments in the form of clients willing to pay / listen to your design advice. One bad job leads to another bad job via bad marketing and business habits. A good one will do likewise.

Everyone is nervous in business until they go through the motions and experience it (as with anything). You're doing the right thing here by getting your ends. Also be certain she pays you before you send any artwork to her or a printer. it doesn't matter if her deadline is on Monday and it's Friday. She better get her ass to the bank Saturday or Friday before close and make it happen (printers won't be doing dick all over the weekend anyway unless you pay a steep premium! And judging by her shoe string budget there's no way this is happening).

Do not be the one chasing people for money. It's on THEM to keep the wheels greased (WITH CASH) not you. Special exceptions, again, being long term clients. In that case you always want to help them by paying something at the printers up front to keep things going (or if you're a broke ass nigga have them pay but give them notice so they don't run in to an unexpected expense they weren't expecting to pay right now).
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 24 Feb 2010 at 07:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. So where did this end up Hero?

With him rolling over and taking it.

8. No, didn't roll over and take it. Although now they've been in limbo for the past few days "considering where to go next" - if I don't get paid what's owed, they don't get the files. If they ask for anything else without agreeing to the hourly rate, they can take a hike.

At least I got a percentage upfront, and I'm not about to waste anymore time on this.

9. They are fucked if they don't go through you. Not an ideal way to do business, but a client like this is a user anyway. They'll get work done from you, stiff you and then move on to the next sap they find they can screw. There is no shortage of guys with photoshop these days. The difference between them and you is professionalism and skill. Which is what you're doing by approaching your business properly.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 04 Mar 2010 at 01:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."