Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TNL Fantasy Sci-Fi League

1. TNL Fantasy Sci-Fi League

Idea stolen from the Galactic Watercooler podcast.

Fantasy Sci-Fi combines the team-drafting fun of fantasy sports with the nerd pastime of theorizing how our favorite fictional characters would deal with a challening situation. Here's how it works: you pick a team of four characters from genre fiction - an alien, a robot, a scientist, and a warrior. Characters that could count for more than one role are fine; Spock could count as your scientist or your alien, and you'd still get to fill the other slot with another character who fits. The only restriction: no gods. This includes not only literal gods like Zeus, Odin or Jesus, but also any characters possessing a planet-crushing level of physical power (Superman, Unicron, etc.) or the ability to alter reality with only their will (Dr. Manhattan, Q [from Star Trek... Bond's Q would be acceptable], etc.). And of course, as in fantasy sports, once somebody's chosen a character for their team, that character is off-limits to everybody else.

Once teams are chosen, we take turns presenting challenges for them to deal with, and everyone posts their team's solution, which every member of their team must figure into in some way. Your solution can be a bullet point list, or if you prefer you can go into ludicrously epic fanfic detail. (Just no self-insertion please.) I'll present the first challenge, then once everyone's had time to post their solutions, whoever signed up second gets to name the next round's challenge, and so forth for as long as we feel like keeping the game going.

For a sample of how this goes:
    Scenario: Massive Meteor heading towards "The" planet. Team must save humanity get the girl/guy while doing it to a rocking tune.

Team Sean:

Click for full size

Song: "We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister"

Method:

1. Dr. Jonas Venture Jr. barrows the X1, and rigs it for space flight.
    2. Conan, Liara board the ship and BumbleBee pilots it to the meteor.
    3. Liara uses bionic push power to push the meteor off course.
    4. Confused by the "half your team must survive and get the girl/guy" requirement, Conan kills Dr. Jonas Venture Jr and Liara.

Team Chuck:

Click for full size

Song: "One vision - Queen"

Method:

1. Master Chief boards Anna's new badass V ship.
    2. Master Chief ejects to the meteor, Anna heads off to some cool bar.
    3. Master Chief "master chiefs it" and destroys the meteor.
    4. Master Chief falls back to the planet on his own.
    5. The rest of the team booze up, and Bender hooks up with Anna over their "kill all human" common interest.
    6. Dr. Brown made a girl just in case no one gets a girl.

Team Audra:

Click for full size

Song: "Tom Sawyer - Rush"

Method:

1. Carter designs a massive amplifier machine.
    2. Data builds the massive amplifier machine with super speed and replicator.
    3. Carter is explaining the situation to Aragorn.
    4. Sy Snootles sings the same song from Empire through the amplifier wit sounds beyond human/dog hearing range.
    5. Meteor disintegrate by Sy Snootles' music.
    6. Cater hooks up with Aragorn while trying to explain the hardness of the meteor.
    So, here's my team:

Scientist: Dr. Gaius Baltar

Alien: E.T. the Extra-Terrestial

Robot: Alita

Warrior: Frank West

I'll give you guys a couple days to post your teams before I present the first challenge (also, this will give me time to think of one :P ).
    Last edited by Space Pirate Roberts; 25 Feb 2010 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. What is this bullshit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nerds.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	52766  

4. Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

5. Was Fantasy Football not nerdy enough to start with, Perrin? Did it really need the rainbow suspenders and the accordion?

6. phew, my spoiler thread isn't the worst one on the board anymore.
    I feel for ya Gas, I thought my thread would be fun, too

7. This is sooooo gay.

8. If your mom is a superhero, I pick her for my team. I know she works magic on my cock.

Also I want Kratos and Jesus. I just won.

10. You're doing it wrong Josh, you can't repeat the same character.