Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Place in Williamsburg

1. Looking for a Place in Williamsburg

So, me and a friend of mine just started looking for places in Williamsburg, and wanted to know if you guys had any general pointers on what to get. We thought a loft would be ideal, because it allows us to be somewhat noisy during non commercial hours perhaps? I am quite new to the getting a place not college scene, so I am not really sure on the etiquette.

A few questions I suppose, first, is all of williamsburg safe? That's pretty much my biggest issue right now, I don't want to get stabbed. I don't live in Baltimore right now because I don't want to get stabbed. So same goes for new york.

Second, how many streets away from major metro stations is still convenient? I know that seems obvious and differs from person to person, but I have never lived IN a city sans car, so what might seem reasonable to me in the beginning could be a big hassle later on when I get more used to it.

Third, Ramon said anywhere near the first three metro stops is pretty good, so that has been a good starting places for our searches. How far from the metro do you guys think is a good area to live? Kinda the same as the previous question but this one is more asking about how far out can I go and still get a cool environment of people. A big part of the reason I want to live in the city to begin with is to be around musicians and like minded people.

Finally, as we are both musicians, are there any streets where it is known that musicians tend to gather and such, or all over the place and just play in localized areas? We will be hoping to grab a bass player and maybe a guitarist to take lead from me when we get up there as our current players (rotating players) would not be making the move with us.

Thanks for any help you guys throw our way, I know you alot of you guys have the same basic mindsets as us so hopefully you can drop a bit of sage advice for us.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williamsburg,_Brooklyn

Quote Originally Posted by Destin View Post
    A few questions I suppose, first, is all of williamsburg safe? That's pretty much my biggest issue right now, I don't want to get stabbed. I don't live in Baltimore right now because I don't want to get stabbed.
    Pussy.

3. People here have normal lives. And there are millions of people here. You trying to find a place to do whatever you want at any time of day is going to cost you much more than you can afford.

You'd get shot in Baltimore, not stabbed.

Protip: real men can dodge bullets.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    People here have normal lives. And there are millions of people here. You trying to find a place to do whatever you want at any time of day is going to cost you much more than you can afford.
    We don't want a place where we can do whatever we want at any time of the day. We want a place where we can do whatever we want at SOME time in the day, that can be morning, night, evening, whatever.

And thank you, I have been searching google. Sage advice indeed.

6. It won't work that way. If you want to play music you're going to have to either find a loft with thick ass walls or rent a studio where you can play. Believe me many people want exactly that but NYC is too packed for it unless you go to the very end of the boroughs.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    It won't work that way. If you want to play music you're going to have to either find a loft with thick ass walls or rent a studio where you can play. Believe me many people want exactly that but NYC is too packed for it unless you go to the very end of the boroughs.
    Cool, loft with thick ass walls doesn't sound too bad. Or we may have to rent a studio.

8. You guys must be ballers if you can afford a loft. I wanted to move into one but the $1k/person price tag scared me away.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    You guys must be ballers if you can afford a loft. I wanted to move into one but the $1k/person price tag scared me away.
    We are looking around and it seems to be in our price range on the high side, but we aren't sure about areas and such. Still looking in to it.