Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diagnostic help

1. Diagnostic help

I'm kind of in a tight spot here. Computer turned itself off a couple times yesterday, and then I stepped out for a half hour and came back and it was dark.

It's got to be either the power supply or the motherboard, but these are both expensive things to replace. I can still turn it off and on, which generally says "motherboard" to me, but the fans aren't running at full speed and the power lights are dim as if it's not getting full power. If the PSU wasn't giving enough juice, is there any possibility this could be the problem?

2. probably

start unhooking shit item by item, see if it'll start up with just your primary hdd

3. Even with no drives hooked up I can't get it to post. I do still get a sustained beep when I unhook the video card though. I guess that's pretty inconclusive either way.

4. A CPU needing reseated and re compounded can always flip a rig just like you're describing.

Confirmed. I had a similar problem recently, and it was that the CPU had loosened somehow.

6. Goddamn you two. I needed to fix this ASAP and got everything it might be (PSU, mobo, and CPU) because I couldn't afford to wait.

It was the PSU. Now I have an extra CPU lying around that I'm going to have to ebay or some shit.

7. what kind of cpu

edit: nvm I don't have the money to buy it anyway even if it's a better-than-3200+ socket 939
    Last edited by cka; 12 Mar 2010 at 11:53 PM.

8. Just send it back.

9. Newegg has a no return policy on CPUs. I neglected to notice this upon purchasing it. I can return the mobo, but I'm stuck with the CPU.

10. What type of CPU is it?