Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Great Villains of the 1980's

1. Many of you have mentioned some excellent singular villains: Thulsa Doom, Lo Pan, Nicholson's Joker, and so on.

But as Mr-K pointed out, I'm really looking for the actors who made their careers in the 1980's playing a certain type of villain. Billy Zabka is an excellent example (The Karate Kid, Just One of the Guys, and Back to School), but a lot has been written about him already on the internet and even in GQ magazine. So I'm looking for some of the more offbeat, weird-looking guys who carved a unique villain niche.

Ronny Cox is a great example. Really talented musician, too; he's an interesting guy.

Some others I intend to feature are Kevin McCarthy (UHF and Innerspace; the perfect "evil rich tycoon" caricature), Paul Gleason (Breakfast Club, Trading Places, Die Hard), and Ted Knight (Caddyshack!).
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jameshong.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	53536  

3. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Kevin McCarthy (UHF and Innerspace; the perfect "evil rich tycoon" caricature)
    I don't really think of Kevin McCarthy this way, mainly because I associate him as either A: the star of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, or B: the washed up guy in Pirranha or Ghoulies 3.

Jeffery Jones I think would be a better example. Nobody what I see him in, he's always going to be some sort of raging asshole regardless of what character he's playing. And this stems from Bueller, Beetle Juice and... isn't he a bad guy in Howard the Duck too? And he's a real life skeezbag too!

What about Rutger Hauer?

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Absolutely.
    Last edited by Mr-K; 23 Mar 2010 at 09:17 PM.

4. While Rutger Hauers best roles are as villains from the 80's, he did a lot of work where he wasn't a villain too.

5. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Paul Gleason
    Two weeks, asshole.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

6. Admittedly this is a questionable entry but I'm going with it anyway because the role was career defining/rejuvenating post-Easy Rider and Apocalypse Now.

Keep on fighting, DH.

7. Of 200 or so movies Dennis Hopper has been in, only 27 were made in the 80's, and most of that seems to be voice work for cartoons.