Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubi Cutting Out Game Manuals

1. Ubi Cutting Out Game Manuals

It's always been noted in the world of retail that a lot of the price you're paying is for packaging. Something tells me the consumer will not see a decreased cost going forward while the devs save even more money. Very rarely do we even see a discount on digital games over their on the shelf versions and digital scraps both the box AND manuals. Opinions?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1084483p1.html

April 19, 2010 - In an effort to be more environmentally friendly, Ubisoft announced it is eliminating all paper game manuals from its Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC products, and replacing them with in-game digital versions. The first title to incorporate an all-digital manual is Shaun White Skateboarding, which releases this holiday.

"Eco-friendly initiatives are important to the global community and introducing in-game digital manuals on Xbox 360 and PS3 is just the latest example of Ubisoft's ongoing commitment to being a more environmentally conscious company," said Laurent Detoc, president of Ubisoft North America.

Ubisoft says these in-game digital manuals will provide "multiple benefits" for the player, including "easier and more intuitive access" to game information as well as providing a "more robust manual."

Ubisoft has also partnered with Technimark, a case manufacturer, to produce Eco-friendly packaging for its PC games.

Ubisoft did not clarify if its older titles will be "upgraded" to include digital manuals. We've asked Ubisoft for comment and will update when we hear back.

Update: Ubisoft admited that while the company will save money from this initiative, it's too soon to estimate how much. Ubisoft also said it will not be offering downloadable versions of the manuals for players to print out.

"The digital game manuals will be for Ubisoft games going forward," a spokesperson told IGN. "While the company will save money on paper, it's unclear if these costs will be offset by the labor of the development team to create a more robust game manual within the game."

2. Worst company.

I never, ever take the manual out of the case, so it's a non-issue for me. However, I think Ubisoft is covering up blatant cost cutting with the guise of environmentalism, which is bullshit. And I totally agree with Dyne. There won't be any savings passed on to the consumer.

Something like 2/3 of the games I own are digital now, so I'm way more environmentally friendly than Ubisoft without supporting that piece of shit company.

4. Who gives a shit. When was the last time you actually read one? Most manuals are two page black and white crap anyways.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

5. Who wants to bet that the case will now be filled with twice as much promotional garbage?

Nah, but they'll probably sell ad space in the "in-game digital manuals."

"What the fucking LB button does... brought to you by some faggoty ass french escargot company"

7. LOL. As someone who has bought alot of PC games in the last 10 years, I've watched this happen and don't really care. Controls are better explained in-game anyway. I miss the glory days of companies treating their games to crazy packages and huge manuals, but those days are over and that little black and white piece of shit thats only filled with "notes" can go fuck itself.

Also, fuck Ubi as well.

8. RTFM.... Wait

9. Good cost saving move. Should be industry standard.
    No gnus is good gnus.

10. But it won't trickle down to the consumer. This is only their excuse to say "we do this to keep games from being $70" at launch.