Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: redlettermedia - brilliantly hilarious, insightful video reviews of the Star Wars prequels

1. YouTube Link redlettermedia - brilliantly hilarious, insightful video reviews of the Star Wars prequels

This guy's great. He totally takes these movies apart, but it's not the usual "waaah Jarjar sucks, waaaah Anakin can't act." He approaches the subject like a professional critic, but presents his criticisms in the persona of a deranged old man. The result is an hour and change (per film) in which 1) you'll laugh your ass off, and 2) you'll gain a deeper understanding of just why these movies left you cold.

Here's part 1 of his Phantom Menace review, which made the rounds a few months ago. If the prospect of sitting through all these makes you balk, just trust me... give this first one a shot. By the end of it, you'll be scrambling for the next one. (Oh, and I'm not gonna post every individual video here, that would take forever. Just click-through to the next one at the end.)

And here's the first chapter for Attack of the Clones, which just went up today:

Can't wait to see what he does to Revenge of the Sith.

He's also done shorter, but no less entertaining, reviews for Avatar and each of the Next Gen era Star Trek movies. Warning: don't watch the First Contact one if you currently like that movie and wish to continue doing so.

Last edited by Space Pirate Roberts; 05 Apr 2010 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

This, like everything else you think is funny, is crap. Stop posting. Seriously.

3. No way dude. Redlettermedia is the shit.

When I want to hear my favorite cheesy sci-fi get ripped on, the hierarchy goes like this:

Redlettermedia>SFdebris>Confused Matthew

4. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    No way dude. Redlettermedia is the shit.

When I want to hear my favorite cheesy sci-fi get ripped on, the hierarchy goes like this:

Redlettermedia>SFdebris>Confused Matthew

mst3k>whatever

5. This is pretty awful.

"Comes off like a script written by an 8-year old."

Wow, what an original and insightful criticism! What's next? "This movie has more holes than Swiss cheese"?

6. It's the delivery, man. It's the delivery.

None of you guys are getting any pizza rolls in the mail.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    This, like everything else you think is funny, is crap. Stop posting. Seriously.
    As much as I fucking hate to side with Cheebs and The Gas on what is or isn't funny, these reviews have their moments of being really hilarious. It isn't amazing criticism or anything because it's basically just rabid, insane nitpicking, but the way that he takes the plots of the Star Trek movies and shows how the filmmakers basically did not give a single shit about continuity or basic logic in building their plots is worth sitting through the odd gimmick. The First Contact review is great.

I also rather like how he defines the difference between the characters of the original series of Star Wars and the prequels by getting people to explain what the characters are like without saying exactly what they do. Han Solo is brash and handsome, he's got a strong moral code but still has a certain darkness and bad streak to him. Qui Gon Jinn... uh.. has... long hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    This is pretty awful.

"Comes off like a script written by an 8-year old."

Wow, what an original and insightful criticism! What's next? "This movie has more holes than Swiss cheese"?
    All of them are written in character. It's the type of thing that somebody with a severe social disorder would say when talking about Star Trek Generations. The Star Trek reviews are really where the business is, the Star Wars ones that are coming out now are kind of secondary
    Last edited by Mr-K; 05 Apr 2010 at 02:24 AM.

8. I also feel like I'm on the wrong side, but honestly these are quite funny.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. I'll go deeper into that later.

10. That's what your mom said.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.