Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: All Right, So I Want To Get Into Comics

1. All Right, So I Want To Get Into Comics

LTTP I know but hear me out. I like more or less the short run graphic novels like the Watchmen and Kick-Ass. I'm liking what i'm reading of Civil War so far and I'm REALLY liking the Runaways so far. I'm not really looking into trying to play catch up with all the big boys but if there are any other short ones like the ones i've mentioned I'd really dig it.

One of my friends tried to get me to read She-Hulk that shit is so whack.
    Last edited by Anal Kaboom; 07 Apr 2010 at 07:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.

2. The usual suspects- Bone is available in one (huge!) book, Transmetropolitan is divided in to several graphic novels but is also a complete story that will hook you hard, any random Sin City graphic novel will be a great stand-alone read. Anything with the name "Alan Moore" on the cover is worth picking up. Fables doesn't fit your criteria for short-form but I recommend it anyway. Reading Scott Pilgrim ahead of the movie makes you one of the Cool Kids, and it's worth it even without that little bonus.

There's tons of great stuff out there, but most of it tends to go long. You'll be drowning in great stuff in no time.

James

3. Wow the stuff you like is really all over the place for someone new. Thats cool. You say you want shorter things (which there are) but also keep in mind most character comics (like Xmen or Batman) are separated into creator runs. A set story in a set number of issues.

I happened to recommend some friends some comics recently in email - ill post some of the stuff I sent. Its quite a book...
    These are more of the popular choices but there's plenty more - alot of good stuff out there. Also keep in mind most of the stuff im listing is relatively new 2003-ish and up, so no old 80's or 90's stinkers only a nostalgic comic fan would like.

For small stuff contained to a single Trade:
    Obviously with Watchmen youll need to read the other big one from that time: The Dark Knight Returns.
    More single trade stories:
    -We3 - household pets turned into killing machines thats done with a very serious, emotional and violent tone.
    -League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - More Alan Moore. (theres actually 3 trades but the first one works well on its own)
    -The Filth - if you like your comics crazy and completely out there - you cant find a crazier story. This is proof comics can still do things other media cannot.

For superhero stuff:
    The run that got me back into comics was Grant Morrison's New X-Men. You can get that in about 4 trades. He also did the amazing "All Star Superman" (I dont even like the character but those are some of the best comics ever). Anything Morrison does is pretty mind blowing - but those are easy to get into. The New X-Men stuff are my personal favorite comics of all time. The big thing with Morrison is re-readability. You WILL find new details and story bits/hints nearly everytime you go back to the material. Recently, hes been working on his Batman epic the past few years.

Bendis and Maleev's Daredevil run - the definative DD run and probably wont ever be topped - this set the path for the newer more realistic Marvel of today.

Ed Brubaker's Captain America run - Some of the best modern Marvel comics. The beginning arcs are already all time classics.

Longer stuff that has (or will have) an ending:

-Fables - fairytale characters forced to enter the modern world. Lots of surprises and mysteries. Great writing and just an awesome concept. (The Fabels cover below shows Hansel of Hansel and Gretel fame - pretty badass eh?)

-Walking Dead - everyone likes the Walking Dead.

-Y The Last Man - first trade hooks everyone.

-Hellboy - great trade paperback format. Great comics. The movies suck but the comics are classics. If you like Gothic Horror or re-imagined folktales the Hellboy book is tops. Mignola says hes about halfway thru the entire Hellboy story.

-100 Bullets - crime noir with an insanely detailed plot. I have no idea how Azzarello connected literally every plot point in the entire book from the beginning.

-Hellblazer - Not for everybody. Demonology, magic, voodoo, and other weird shit all starring the coolest occult detective anti-hero in comics, John Constantine. Each creator basically writes their own version of the character. Andy Diggle's recent run I loved.

The best comics are very re-readable too which makes them nice to own, especially in trade format for the bookshelf.
    Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	we3_medium.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	53826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100bullets.gif 
Views:	352 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	53827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cap6regular.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	53828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darkknight.gif 
Views:	346 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	53829  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hellboy.gif 
Views:	358 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	53830   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filth10.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	271.6 KB 
ID:	53831   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newxmen.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	53832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waking Dead.gif 
Views:	348 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	53833  

Name:	ythelastman.gif 
Views:	366 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	53834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fables54.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	514.0 KB 
ID:	53835   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all-star-superman-10-frank-quitely-grant-morrison-jamie-grant-s.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	53836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	league.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	53837  

Name:	60-1.jpg 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	53839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	105487-4008-108139-1-hellblazer_super.jpg 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	53840  
    Last edited by Destro777; 09 Apr 2010 at 04:26 AM.
    NowPlaying: Battlefield series . DarkSouls . MGS collection . Cap+SNK fighters . AceCombat series . ArmoredCore series

I know it falls under the "Alan Moore" category and it's been a few years, but I remember Top Ten being an absolute joy to read. I think you can get the whole thing in two trades.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

5. Whats a trade?

6. trade = trade paperback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I know it falls under the "Alan Moore" category and it's been a few years, but I remember Top Ten being an absolute joy to read. I think you can get the whole thing in two trades.
    Yeah, Top Ten is the most enjoyable thing he's ever done, imo. The main series is indeed two trades, then there's a few spinoffs:
    -The Forty-Niners - A prequel about Jetlad and the founding of Neopolis. Same team as the main series, and every bit as good. Essential.
    -Smax- About Smax and Toybox going back to Smax's homeland, which is some sort of fairytale land. It's good (it's Moore, after all), but it's got a different artist and a totally different vibe.
    -Beyond the Farthest Precinct- Dogshit. No Moore, no Ha. So, so bad.
    -Top Ten: Season 2- Honestly I didn't even know this existed until now! Moore didn't write it, but Ha was back on art. Probably at least moderately enjoyable because of that, I'll warrant.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 09 Apr 2010 at 03:36 PM.

7. I read very few comics. I love Hellboy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. I've been meaning to get 100 bullets, Y The Last Man and The Walking Dead (which if I remember right is going to be a series on FX which could be completely amazing).

9. Quote Originally Posted by James
    Reading Scott Pilgrim ahead of the movie makes you one of the Cool Kids, and it's worth it even without that little bonus.
    Even before you said it I was totally planning on doing just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Wow the stuff you like is really all over the place for someone new. Thats cool.
    lol I guess I've just been reading stuff that has movies coming out. The first one I read was the Watchmen and until then I had no idea comics could tell stories like that. It really blew me away so after that I started reading Civil War and a friend of mine is telling me about Marvel Zombies which sounds cool too. I'm kinda mad at myself for not giving comics a shot earlier but I really didn't know where to start thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777
    keep in mind most character comics (like Xmen or Batman) are separated into creator runs. A set story in a set number of issues.
    Me = Noob I had no idea lol. Which is cool 'cause I really dig the Marvel superheroes i just didn't want to have to play catch up reading hundreds of back issues.

All the stuff you suggested sounded good I put em on my list. Especially Fables I still can't get over the fact that that's Hansel. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    Whats a trade?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    trade = trade paperback.
    I didn't know either.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I read very few comics. I love Hellboy.
    I seem to be one of the few people that actually enjoyed the film so I'm definitely looking forward to checking this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    The Walking Dead (which if I remember right is going to be a series on FX which could be completely amazing).
    Holy shit I love FX. Looks like I'm gonna have to bump The Walking Dead up on my list.
    Last edited by Anal Kaboom; 09 Apr 2010 at 07:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.

10. Fables is being made into a show too on AMC - im pretty sure the Walking Dead show is going to AMC too. I wish Walking Dead was on something like HBO tho.

Y the Last Man was suppossed to be a movie - but a show would work better. I think its caught in limbo right now.

Just a tip - buy all your trades (trade paperbacks) from Amazon. You can get the Hellboy ones for around $10 on there (They retail for $18-20). You can even check out trades from libraries.
    NowPlaying: Battlefield series . DarkSouls . MGS collection . Cap+SNK fighters . AceCombat series . ArmoredCore series