Page 1 of 30 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: BulletStorm

BulletStorm

Quote Originally Posted by 1up
    At this point, is there even any purpose left to Cliff Bleszinski appearing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon? The creator of the Gears of War series was set to appear on the show last Thursday, but was switched to Monday at the last minute. Since then, Gears of War 3 was accidently announced on Xbox Live, and now the other title he was likely to talk about has been revealed on the latest cover of Game Informer: BulletStorm.

The game is a collaboration between Epic and Painkiller developer People Can Fly, and truth be told it's not exactly a surprise reveal -- the title "BulletStorm" previously showed up in a trademark filing by People Can Fly, and more than likely on an publisher Electronic Arts's list of fiscal year releases.

But this official reveal finally brings the first details of what to expect from the game, which evidently favors creative slaughtering over routine marksmanship. "As the name suggests, players will take on hideous mutants in a flurry of lead, all the while racking up combos that encourage variety over headshot after headshot," the Game Informer tease reports.

The above-mentioned EA release listing showed an Epic-made shooter (yes, probably BulletStorm) for release between January and March 2011, so that's probably when we can expect to see the game hit shelves.
    Link

2. Why the hell did Cliff delay his appearance? Once the machine is set in motion it can't be stopped.

Anyway, I didn't like Painkiller so whatever.

3. Buy me

BULLETSTORM

or go to hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Why the hell did Cliff delay his appearance?
    He didn't. He got bumped for a Canuck wannabe.

I read the GI article and this really does sound amazing. The score-based action sounds vaguely similar to The Club, but the complexity makes it sound more like the Bayonetta of first-person shooters.

Here's the gist:
    The combat system is based around a leash, a ground slide, and a kick. The leash pulls enemies towards you, the slide pops enemies into the air, and the kick sends enemies away from you. Each move, when it connects, causes a brief instant of bullet time. Scoring is based around combining creative kills with the use of these tools, like shooting enemies in mid-air, using the leash to pull down stuff in the environment on top of enemies, or kicking enemies into explosive barrels. And each weapon adds to this complexity. The article mentioned a flail gun, which shoots two grenades attached by a chain. You can wrap it around an enemy and detonate it manually or wait for it to automatically blow up. So you can wrap an enemy with it, then kick him towards a group, then detonate it to kill them all and get lots of points. The developers say there's around a hundred different skill shots, but some of them can be done in multiple different ways.

6. make the combo system matter beyond "fuck yeah leaderboards" and i'm down

Apparently it does - the points you get are used to upgrade your weapons and unlock new abilities. The example used in the article was an upgrade to the leash that let you slam it down on the ground and launch all the enemies in a certain radius into the air.

8. I'm sold already. It's got bullets in storms, and this makes me happy.

James

10. So the gimmick of this game is kicking.