Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: XBL for original Xbox titles goes offline tonight at 3am EST

1. Seeing this message on Twitter makes me think the plug's been pulled:

Code:
    . . . . Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for t h e   l  o  v  e     o    f      y      o      u .

2. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Why would you want to play it online?
    I've only played it online twice; It's not the type of game you really need online play, to enjoy. I don't even think there are that many achievements tied to online play.

3. Glad I got in some SF Anniversary Collection tonight before they cut the cord.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

4. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Everybody should move the fuck on to something else at this point.
    Yeah, I hear that Dynasy Warriors is totally awesome !

you heard right.

6. IDBTN

7. I suppose I'll put this here.

Attention Original Xbox owners - Remove the Time Capacitor before it's too late!

I have watched this yesterday that was telling of the dangers of leaving Xbox's time capacitor unattended for too long.

* If you have Xbox version below 1.6, you can safely remove the capacitor, however if your Xbox is 1.6 or higher the Xbox will not function without the capacitor, so you would need to replace it instead. An easy way to see if your Xbox is 1.6 or not is to check the manufacturing date on the sticking underneath the Xbox. If it's before 2004 then it's OK, if not, it's probably 1.6.
    * Xbox time capacitor, as in the thing that keeps your time rolling while Xbox is off, is prone to leaking
    * The leakage can cause corrosion and ultimately motherboard failure of the Xbox
    * The capacitor can be safely removed from the motherboard without affecting any functionality aside from internal clock resetting every time you power the thing off
    * It doesn't matter whether the Xbox is unplugged or turned off

So, I went and dug out my old Xbox from the closet, phew it was dusty. I opened it up, checked the capacitor in question and lo and behold the little munchkin was all puffed up and going sort of browny in places (I should have taken a picture). I took it out and there was a little bit of leakage just below it which I cleaned up afterwards. I turned it on again and it seemed to be working fine.

The moral of the story is, if you want to keep your Xbox in working order, you better remove or replace the time capacitor as those particular ones tend to blow up!

Hopefully someone will find this info useful.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857527

It's probably worth checking occasionally, but don't be an idiot like lukemorse1. That video shows him snapping off a perfectly fine capacitor. It's really easy to visually tell if a capacitor has gone bad - the top will be bulging and there might be some discolouration. And if your capacitor needs to be replaced, again, don't just snap it off like a moron. Desolder it and replace it. It's not hard.

Eh, you can't always tell by looking, but a single cap is really easy to do the right way.

10. I'm pretty sure that my Xbox cap has gone bad at least a couple of years ago. I've just never gotten around to replacing it.