Thread: Converting MTS to AVI

1. Converting MTS to AVI

Having a problem. Some friends shot some footage on an HD camcorder that I need to convert from MTS to AVI. What I need to know is if there's a program or a way to do so while at the same time downgrading it to standard resolution. I tried useing AVS Video Converter and it converts the file but a 42 second clips comes in at 1.25 GB and plays back like shit (choppy). Apparently HD video is a tad too much for my PC. Any help or suggestions? Thx.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. the best way imo would probably be to use ffmpeg* and a whole gang of command-line switches

(* windows version, don't know what kind of OS you have but it's available for osx and linux too)

3. I'm using XP. What do ya mean, whole gang of command-line switches?

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. ffmpeg "-i your_video_file.mts -vcodec libxvid -acodec liblame -the list of command-line switches goes on for a mile" your_compressed_video.avi

the part in quotes

5. Gotcha. Thanks.

6. I lied. I don't gotcha. I have no idea how this program works. Could you please give me retard-level instructions on what to do, step-by-step? and are you sure it can downscale HD video to standard definition?

If you can help me out with this, cka, I'll gladly mail you cupcakes, pie, whatever the fuck you want. Seriously.

7. I'll download it and see how it works. Thx.