Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Humble Indie Bundle (6 games, you name the price)

1. PC The Humble Indie Bundle (6 games, you name the price)

http://www.wolfire.com/humble

World of Goo, Aquaria, Gish, Lugaru HD, and Penumbra Overture, available for PC, Linux, and Mac. You name the price and how much of what you pay goes to the devs and/or to charity. The promotion ends 5/11, so get on it.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 09 May 2010 at 06:22 PM.

2. Samorost 2 has been retroactively added for all that donated.

Less than 2 days left! Donate a couple bucks, get 6 rad games!
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 09 May 2010 at 06:23 PM.

3. picked this up last night, thanks for the heads up?

4. Got it! Cool!

5. One more day.

I just got this, I'm poor right now so I donated $1, which was like way more than worth it for World of Goo alone.

6. I don't buy many games anymore but I was happy to pay for these a few days ago and Machinarium a while back. Not sure what to think of the organizers' claim that at least 25% of people downloading from their servers (i.e. not including BT, rapidshare, etc) haven't paid for it. Like the guy says, you can contribute 1 cent and be legitimate but there's a sizable group of people who can't even be bothered to do that.

I'd almost welcome well-designed, non-invasive DRM in cases like this... what a step backward.

(I'd also like to know how many people really can't pay using Paypal/Amazon/GCO, I'm sure those 12 or so guys don't deserve to be lumped in with the other 24.998%.)

7. If 25% aren't paying for it, the model is also responsible for 75% of their actual sales, sooooo there's balance.

8. Pretty sad that people are pirating this, or any indie game really. But that's the way of the internet I guess. I do like this quote:

When considering any kind of DRM, we have to ask ourselves, "How many legitimate users is it ok to inconvenience in order to reduce piracy?" The answer should be none.
    These are good men, and it makes me feel even better supporting them when they say things like that.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    If 25% aren't paying for it, the model is also responsible for 75% of their actual sales, sooooo there's balance.
    Sure, if the price was set I'd think 25% was pretty good. IIRC World of Goo estimated that 90% of people reporting scores to their servers didn't buy it. But the price isn't set, you can literally pay 1 stinkin' red cent. I just didn't think the number would be so large, even if you adjust it downward to account for certain inaccuracies.

Business-wise it might still make sense to ditch DRM, especially for independents. I suspect that this is a significant chunk of change for most of these games. I'm just a little surprised that paying 1c is above and beyond so many. This is practically the bottom of the barrel, how much more convenient can you make it for people?

Even though most are not lost sales, if I was making these games the unreasonable side of me would be annoyed that so many people were enjoying my work at my expense after I removed almost every barrier.

10. I'm pretty sure paying less than 30 cents or so means that the devs actually take a loss on the transaction fees, so at that point they'd probably rather people pirate it. This is a great idea here and I'd have bought the pack myself but I already own most of the games.