Page 1 of 10 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 365

1. Project 365

Project 365 is a simple photography project that is exactly what it sounds like. Take at least a single picture everyday for a year. The goal is to get out and take pictures, see how your photos progress, and hopefully get some pretty neat photos in the process.

I know we already have a photography thread, but I figured it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to Project 365 if anyone was interested. Rather than flooding that thread with images meant for Project 365, we can post them here and critique each other. Any groups of photos or just anything not meant for Project 365 can be posted in the other thread.

I know we all have busy schedules and more than likely wont be able to post a pic a day, but we can at least try to do it as often as possible. So the goal will be to try and get at least one photo per day and post it here. Doesn't matter if you grab something around the house and try to get a cool photo out of it or see something interesting walking down the street. Just try to take the best photo you can and work on making each photo better and better. Also, doesn't matter if it is edited or not. I'll kick it off and try to grab a photo here before I head off to work.

2. Here is my Day 1. Used my rally towels and the Predators bottle koozie as well as a Bud Light bottle (the official beer of the NHL), to do an ad shot. Personal critiques would be need better professional lighting and solid white material that isn't textured. Also could have used more space to position the bottle against the logo better, but didn't have much room outside and I needed to use natural light as opposed to a flash or the indoor lights. Not bad though for a quick attempt.

Click for full size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001_001.jpg 
Views:	2710 
Size:	790.1 KB 
ID:	54335  
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 05 May 2010 at 01:46 PM.

3. Day 2. Couldn't think of anything, so tried to do a self portrait noir style. Not quite noir as the lighting could have been more dramatic, but I kind of got what I wanted.

EDIT: My main critique; shitty, dirty carpet. WOuld have been much better with a solid dark floor, but you gotta work with what you got.

EDIT 2: Spent just a few minutes fixing the carpet. Looks much better now.

Click for full size

Name:	002_001.jpg 
Views:	3021 
Size:	428.7 KB 
ID:	54370  
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 07 May 2010 at 10:37 AM.

4. I don't understand. Did you actually take the photo of the Predators bottle cozy and the b&w in your Day 2 post?
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

If you're not trolling with that post, you might be a retard.

6. Are camera phone photos allowed? Because I'll take plenty with it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I don't understand. Did you actually take the photo of the Predators bottle cozy and the b&w in your Day 2 post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If you're not trolling with that post, you might be a retard.
    I'll go ahead and answer just in case. Yes I took both pictures. For the Predators one, I set up one of my rally towels as a backdrop, placed one upside down for the bottle to lay on, and used a bud light bottle I had with the koozie. For the self portrait, I set up the chair and the camera, pre-focused, and set a 10sec timer. Didn't need to do too much editing other than lighting to get that contrasty effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    Are camera phone photos allowed? Because I'll take plenty with it.
    I'd say yes, but with the intent on taking the project seriously. If nobody is interested and I am the only one doing this for the next week or so, then I will just let the thread die. I know there are several photogs here who like to take photos whenever they can, and though we may not have one for everyday, setting out to get at least 1 photo for this as often as we can and then critiquing each other would might be beneficial for all us photogs.

So to answer your question, if you are serious about it or interested, then yes, camera phone would be fine I suppose, but if you are going to treat it more like a photo journal, then post them in that photo journal thread in sound off.

8. I'll try to do this.

I guess the only thing I really like about this one, is that some of the blurry branches in the back kind of look like reflections (to me, anyway).
    Click for full size

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	2679 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	54347  

9. Quote Originally Posted by Rated E View Post
    I'll try to do this.
    I guess the only thing I really like about this one, is that some of the blurry branches in the back kind of look like reflections (to me, anyway).
    This is a really nice image. One of the things I really like about it is the lack of color. The only color you really see is green, and it makes the white of the flowers and the grey of the branches really stand out. Did you do any post processing for the color at all? The only thing I would suggest is getting that big, green, and out of focus leaf at the bottom right out of there. In my opinion, it is distracting, and takes up too much space of the image. Otherwise, it is a very nice image.

And I know the project is called 365, but let's be honest with ourselves, it will be hard to get at least 1 image per day. As long as people keep up with this as try to get a few images a week, I think we can have something fun and interesting here.

Selective colour desaturation, imo. I agree about the corner leaf. Nice light on the branch!