Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada Moves Backwards Yet Again in the Telecommunications Field

1. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Canada has a limited amount of providers, remember. Like Bell, Telus, Wind and Rogers.
    there's a few more cellphone providers coming this year, and wind almost didn't happen because the crtc had a hissyfit since it's owned by a bunch of egyptians and not canadians

we're still p. much fucked in terms of broadband internet though, what with maybe 6 or 7 independent providers spread out across the entire country and the remainder more or less subsidiaries

edit: I See Nick Stopped By The Thread At Some Point Recently Because Of The Title Change
    Last edited by cka; 09 May 2010 at 04:20 PM.

2. I'm skeptical of any improvement in our mobile phone market.
    Many of the 'alternative' carriers are just subsidiaries of Bell or Rogers, or are just reselling their services.
    There are really only a few companies selling mobile phone service in Canada.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    You can go to the store and buy two pounds of chicken for 5 bucks. I pay 12.
    For $5 you get some industrial chicken loaded with literal and figurative bullshit. You have to pay $12 to avoid that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    The system in America was designed by a government run by the people
    Maybe it was designed that way, but right now is run by giant corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca
    Canada has a limited amount of providers, remember. Like Bell, Telus, Wind and Rogers.
    Our system in built to basically support and enrich local monopolies. Yea you look at the big picture and there are tons of providers, but drill down to the local level and you don't have the choice you probably think you do.

I mean, I don't care what you do, but it sounds like some definite grass is greener syndrome going on here.

4. So the telcos are basically operating under the feudal system?

5. bumpin w/ dis http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...Billing-111145

what a surprise, the crtc folds to bell like a shitty poker player and residential customers pay for it yet again

6. I'd laugh, but I see that happening within the next 3-5 years here. Google and Netflix are really the only ones holding it back thanks to politicians being bought out already. Want proof, find Biden talking about using U.S. resources to find little Timmy downloading a TV show.

7. You think Google is holding it back?

Fuck I love my country but I can't stand to watch it crumble to corporate interests. I'm moving to Texas and buying guns. The CRAZY thing is that Toronto, for the first time, just elected a Mayor who is completely transparent and financially responsible (read; true conservative), and the liberal interests in town are making him sound like the second coming of Satan. He posted his entire campaign budget and financial targets on his website, and proposed nothing but cuts to unnecessary services. He did what he said he was going to - and actually promotes transparency (sounds like Obama before you realize it was mostly horseshit)

It's frustrating. Because the very causes liberals want they have no fundamental understanding of how to achieve. It always comes down to more rights, not less. Stop letting soccer moms run roughshot over your policies.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 02 Nov 2010 at 10:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

8. Google's deal with Verizon is them at least coming to the table. The U.S. Congress is too wrapped up in corporate interest to do anything to benefit the consumer.

9. Yep. Regardless, being forced to play ball or playing ball of your own volition the result is the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

10. Google has the capital to go out on their own and do whatever they want. The problem with cables is you have to tear up streets to install them and that's something politicians have to approve. Kinda hard to get a fair shake when the politician who is supposed to be for the people is making his decisions based on who is filling his coffer.