Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: $20,000 To Invest for 5 years

1. Banks must be the easiest thing to make money running - but they're all in financial dogshit from over leveraging and stupid risk taking

2. Plastics.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. CDs aren't worth it but there are some CD "alternatives" that can yield 4-5% with no holding period and FDIC insured.

4. Buy diamonds.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. Just don't fall in love.

6. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    Banks must be the easiest thing to make money running - but they're all in financial dogshit from over leveraging and stupid risk taking
    And you hand them money out of your own pocket when they fuck up. And then nobody knows what they did with the money except a few instances where the money actually just went to foreign/European Banks. Who cares about peon money?
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    What are Gooch's qualifications?
    Did someone say Killzone 2? That's the best fucking console FPS of all time.
    Last edited by Gooch; 11 May 2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: This message self-destructed/self-edited after 60 minutes.

8. boom ping pong

check out gooch being super wrong wrong

9. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    A year... or two? Interest rates have cratered since late 2008.
    This. A year or so ago we had a 12 month promotional CD that gave 5% and .25% instant to grow on your investment, with only $500 needed down.

Now our year cd is getting 1% and going down tomorrow.

Base savings is earning .4, it used to earn 1%. I want the rates to go up just as much as the next person because it makes my job easier dealing with people who like to see larger returns. Every day I get to deal with the general public who has no idea that the economy drives the interest rates.

Edit: Late 2k8 = December. Prime has been 3.25 since 12/08.

10. Interest rates will probably stay low in this balance sheet recession but the caveat is the progression of the sovereign risk contagion. One distinguishing factor that contrasts our current balance sheet recession from the one Japan suffered from for 15 years (only recently managing to recover from, only to be met with this global balance sheet recession which has essentially bankrupted their global consumer base) is that the majority of their government debt buyers were domestic. Japan's debt expansion in order to replace the destroyed demand was replaced by government borrowing but that came internally (i.e. Postal Service). The U.S. debt is being funded by both domestic and international participants, so the likelihood of eventual (not near-term, especially with flight to quality flows and indications of less than expected supply regarding treasury issuance) rate increases does loom as a possiblity, though I would expect this to apply more towards government debt than corporate debt issuance.
    Last edited by Gooch; 16 May 2010 at 08:11 PM.